Daphne’s Dispatch: Pay directing job hunt, not passion

Pay over passion. The importance of financial stability over passion in a career or business. It’s becoming a thought in the back of most young adults' minds if they are about to apply to college and choose a major. As tuition is increasing at Ohio University and four-year publicuniversitiesaround the country, people may begin to think of pay over their passion when thinking of future careers. 

Struggling to decide what future job or career to choose from before enrolling on a college campus can be daunting, yet there is the option to choose the “undecided” major in case a particular career path isn’t decided yet. However, some college students are choosing their majors based on salary pay and the current job market.

Labor economics seeks to understand the functioning and dynamics of the markets for wage and labor. Investopedia explains it as a “major component of any economy and it’s intricately linked to markets for capital, goods, and services.” 

This market fluctuates based on economic activity, job seekers, labor force size, government policies, technological advances, total income and interest rates. Each of these is a factor in why the “job hunt” tends to worry most. Currently, the job market is mimicking pre-pandemic levels and has slowed down tremendously, certainly affecting the economy and post-grads looking for jobs.

College students could be choosing majors based on their future career salaries because the thought of not finding a stable, well-paying job right after graduation could feel like the past four years weren’t used to their full potential. 

In a study by BestColleges as of May 2024, it’s reported that 54% of students have doubts about choosing the right major. Even further, financial instability and student loans are common stressors that college students will try their best to avoid after graduating.

Passion in college may even be felt in the first lecture someone is sitting in. The first time everything starts to click and purpose, excitement and hunger to want to pursue this selected track sets in. For some, though, passion may not be felt right away. It can take multiple lectures or advising meetings to know the correct path to follow.

Kristin Diki, an alumnus and an assistant professor of instruction at OU, spoke about her experience in becoming a teacher and realizing when she found her passion.

“I had an adviser here at Ohio University, Dr. Lois Vines, who said, ‘You know, Kristin, there's this program through the French government where you can go and teach in English and elementary schools for a year,’“ Diki said. "Well, and I told her ‘No, I'm not really interested in being a teacher.’ She said, ‘Don't look at it like that. Just look at it as an opportunity to be living in France for a year working on your French language skills.’ And I'm like, ‘Oh yeah, what a great opportunity.’ And I came back from that experience, and I completely shifted my mindset, and I wanted to become a teacher."

Diki recalled an instance when she knew she wanted to choose a career for a passion rather than a salary, and how she’s seen a passion for teaching through her students.

“My father was a lawyer for 25 years, and he always had this unhappiness in him, and I hadn’t realized that’s what it was at the time,” she said. "He completely changed his career and became an instructor at Ohio University, and he went from being this man who was always kind of grumpy and miserable to just loving, loving life and that had such a profound impact on me." 

She also recalls how her college students have shown their passion for teaching.

“When (my students) are talking about their experiences (working) in the classroom, you can just tell how fulfilling it is for them to have those opportunities to be working directly with children,“ Diki said. "That is what, for me, has kept me, staying in the field of education." 

It’s hard to determine what the job market will look like in years to come. Choosing a career path based on initial salary or when the passion found in college can be molded into a job down the line. While either option is acceptable, the path that is decided doesn’t have to be the end all be all.

Daphne Graeter is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Daphne know by emailing her at dg422421@ohio.edu.