Outside hitter Darbi Ricketts (16) jumps for a spike against Xavier at The Convo in Athens, Aug. 30, 2024.

Volleyball: Everything to know ahead of the SoCal Cup

Through just five games, Ohio (3-2) has faced a wide variety of teams. Of those five games, the Bobcats have completed a sweep, been swept twice and won 3-2 twice. Now, Ohio prepares for its most challenging weekend of the season, playing as far from Athens as the team will all season in the SoCal Cup.

Here’s everything to know ahead of the weekend.

Game Information

Opponents: Loyola Marymount (4-2), No. 20 USC (3-1), Utah State (1-4)

Times: Thursday at 9 p.m., Friday at 10 p.m. and Saturday at 4 p.m.

Location: Los Angeles, California (Galin Center)

Where to Watch: ESPN+ vs Loyola Marymount, BIG+ vs USC and Utah State

Follow live stats here.

Player to Watch (Ohio): Darbi Ricketts

Following a successful first two weekends in her collegiate career, Ricketts, a freshman, has a significant test ahead of her against No. 20 USC on Friday night. At 5-foot-7-inches, Ricketts plays a unique role for the Bobcats as both an outside hitter and defensive specialist and has been incredibly productive, ranking first in service aces and third in points, kills and digs. Ohio will look to get major production out of Rickets to stay above .500 this weekend.

Player to Watch (Loyola Marymount): Sophia Meyers

Meyes is littered all over the stat sheet for the Lions. The 5-foot-11-inch outside hitter leads her team in kills and service aces while being second in digs. Like Ohio, Loyola Marymount comes into the SoCal Cup just one game over .500 and will look to get the most out of its top producers to maintain a winning record this season.

Player to Watch (No. 20 USC): Mia Tuaniga

The Trojan offense has many talented hitters, highlighted by the fact they have four players with over 30 kills through four matches played. However, the team wouldn’t be nearly as productive as it is without its setter, Tuaniga, who ranks sixth in the nation in assists per set at 11.47. The dominant and versatile Trojan offense will be tough to stop for the Bobcats, but limiting Tuaniga’s options is where it starts.

Player to Watch (Utah State): Kelsey Watson

At 1.21 blocks per set, Watson, the Aggies’ middle blocker,  just breaks into the top 100 in the nation in the category. At 6-foot-1-inches, Watson is hard to get around and has been productive because of it. Offensively, Watson is not nearly as productive as someone like the Bobcats’ middle blocker Emily Waddell, but shouldn’t be ignored in close to the net.

@LoganPAdams

la486821@ohio.edu