Ohio University President Lori Gonzalez gives announcements at the University Update event, Sept. 26, 2024, in the Baker University Center Theater.

OU hosts university updates, discusses enrollment growth

Ohio University held its fourth university updates event Thursday afternoon in Baker University Center. 

President Lori Stewart Gonzalez opened the event, welcoming everybody and talking about student engagement across campus. 

“One thing I’ve noticed is how engaged young students are,” Gonzalez said. “It’s just wonderful seeing them in the library and across campus … It seems like they’re really thriving here.” 

Gonzalez went on to discuss recent happenings at OU, including the $25 million gift from Jefferey Chaddock and Mark Morrow for the College of Fine Arts and the naming of the new residence hall being built on South Green. 

“A few months ago, I got to fly down to Gainesville, Florida, and have dinner with Deborah and Roderick McDavis, and ask him permission to name a new residence hall after him,” Gonzalez said. “He was so very touched. He was one of the most student-first presidents that we had, and he was just honored by that.”

Gonzalez also talked about the newly hired Vice President for Advancement Gregory Simmons, who will start Nov. 4.

Gonzalez then introduced the next speaker, Don Leo, executive vice president and provost.

Leo reflected on his first three months at OU and spoke about advancements in the provost office. 

“I really took the time to get to know campus, to get around, to see a lot of our facilities,” Leo said. “Just understand the lay of the land here in Athens, Ohio, and at Ohio University.” 

Since students returned to campus, Leo has been involved in a number of campus events including a pizza party on College Green. Leo then discussed some academic leadership changes that took place over the summer. 

Leo also announced that the university is initiating the search for the dean of the Chad and Morrow College of Fine Arts next week. 

“Because of all the existing excellence in the Fine Arts here at Ohio University and all the fundraising and exciting investments being made in the Fine Arts, I think it’s going to be a very competitive process,” Leo said. 

Leo then touched on his goals as provost, which include promoting a spirit of trust and collaboration within the Provost’s Office and the campus, aligning all units in the Provost’s Office with the goals and actions of the dynamic strategy. The goal is to also align the budget and resource allocation model of the Provost’s Office with the university’s strategic priorities and create programs that further enhance the stature and reputation of the university. 

Leo then introduced the next speaker, Eric Muth, vice president for research and creative activity.

Muth discussed the university’s dynamic strategy, specifically the university’s R1 research status. He said the American Council on Education changed the requirements for R1 status. OU still meets the requirements, he said.

“My biggest lesson to learn here at OU is to support you,” Muth said. “We really have to focus on research development.”

Muth then introduced Vice President for Enrollment Management Candace Boeninger. 

Boeninger discussed enrollment growth throughout the university and its regional campuses. 

“This fall, we are helping 29,625 students at Ohio University across campuses,” Boeninger said. 

OU also had an 84.1% retention rate this fall, the highest on record since 2002. 

Boeninger also discussed the new freshman class of 4,345 students and said the university has officially stabilized enrollment in the regional campuses. 

The next university updates event will be held Nov. 4 at 3:30 p.m.

et029322@ohio.edu