Ohio University wide receiver, Sam Wiglusz (12) gets tackled by a Western Michigan player at Peden Stadium in Athens, Ohio, Oct. 21, 2023

Football: Ohio’s offense falls flat in loss against Kentucky

Ohio (2-2*) fell in its final non-conference game against a Southeastern Conference foe in Kentucky (2-2) by a score of 41-6. The offense, led by backup quarterback Nick Poulos, was unable to gain much on a stout Kentucky defense. 

“Kentucky's defense, I said this earlier in the week, I don't see a weakness. I stand by that statement,” Ohio coach Tim Albin said. “They’re athletic, we had trouble adjusting to their speed on both sides of the ball.” 

The Wildcats outplayed the Bobcats on both sides of the ball, and their advantages in speed and athleticism were apparent. Kentucky out-gained Ohio by 265 yards in total offense, a testament to the team’s talented skill position players. 

“Too many missed tackles on defense, but the guys that had the ball in their hand had a lot to do with that,” Albin said. “I can sit here and say this angle and that angle, but they're athletic.”

Kentucky running backs Jamarion Wilcox and Demie Sumo-Karngbaye combined for 129 yards and two touchdowns on 20 total carries. Wilcox looked especially impressive, gashing the Ohio defense for big gains every time he got the ball. He finished the game averaging 10.3 yards per carry. 

On the other side of the ball, much like the defense, Ohio’s offense faced its fair share of challenges. 

The first obstacle in the game came before the opening kickoff as starting quarterback Parker Navarro was listed as questionable before the game. Navarro would not play or participate in warm-ups, and JUCO transfer Nick Poulos would get the start instead. 

Making his debut as a starter in an SEC environment against a top defense in Kentucky is no easy task, and Albin was proud of how his quarterback played. 

“On this stage, against that defense, I thought there was a lot of good,” Albin said regarding Poulos’s performance. “He’ll just keep getting better (and keep) gaining confidence.”

Poulos’s performance did not light up the stat sheet, finishing the game with 135 total yards, 110 passing, on a 42% completion percentage and one very costly interception that turned into a pick-six for Kentucky’s Maxwell Hairston, who jumped a pass intended for Jake Bruno and had nothing but turf ahead of him before easily scoring to put Kentucky up 27-0. 

The other turnover that cost Ohio was a fumble inside Kentucky’s 5-yard line that was attributed to Poulos, as there was some clear miscommunication on an exchange between the quarterback and Coleman Owen in the backfield, allowing Kentucky to take advantage as it scored on the following possession. 

Ohio’s offense looked sloppy and unimpressive with Poulos playing the entire game under center. The unit did manage a touchdown after a huge fourth-down stop from the Bobcats’ defense started the Ohio drive at the Ohio 49-yard line.

That scoring drive was the best Poulos looked all game, hitting Owen for a 27-yard gain before taking it himself for 19 yards to set Ohio up inside Kentucky’s 3-yard line before giving it to Rickey Hunt Jr. for the first and only touchdown of the day to put the score at 27-6.

Ohio opted to go for two after the score, but Poulos’ pass fell incomplete and Ohio only ended up with six points. 

Kentucky would go on to score two more rushing touchdowns, solidifying its dominant win. 

Ohio will look to move on from this game quickly as Akron is next on the schedule for both Homecoming and the start of Ohio’s Mid-American Conference schedule. 

“(We) look forward to getting back to Athens for homecoming and starting league play,” said Albin. “It’s tournament time so every game counts and we want our guys playing their best ball.” 

@CharlieFadel

cf111322@ohio.edu