Davion Weatherspoon (51) celebrates a touchdown during Ohio University’s game against Southern Alabama at Peden Stadium in Athens, Sept. 7, 2024.

Football: What to know for Ohio’s Homecoming game against Akron

Ohio (2-2) returns to Athens to start Mid-American Conference play against in-state opponent Akron (1-3). The Bobcats are coming off a tough loss against Kentucky this past Saturday and will need to bounce back in a big way for the start of MAC play and Homecoming. 

Ohio’s recent Homecoming history is slightly underwhelming for the football program, with a record of 6-6 in total homecoming games since 2011. The Bobcats have faced some mediocrity, but this week against Akron provides a good chance for them to get the recent Homecoming and season record above .500.

Before the years of homecoming mediocrity, the Bobcats seemed to thrive off the big game and traditions that go along with it, having a 9-2 record in Homecoming contests from 2000-2010. 

Ohio coach Tim Albin has a record of 2-1 on Homecoming as a head coach with two straight wins. His first win came in 2022 against the same school that Ohio faces this year: Akron. 

His second win came last year against Kent State, a game that got ugly for Ohio’s opponent by the final quarter. Kent State lost by a score of 42-17 after former Ohio quarterback Kurtis Rourke threw for 300 yards and three touchdowns. 

Ohio has a good chance at a third consecutive Homecoming victory under Albin, with Akron coming off a brutal 50-7 loss against South Carolina this past week. 

The festivities of Homecoming make for an exciting week in Athens, both for the football team and the community. Albin and the Bobcats will look to make Saturday’s game an extra festivity with a big win against the Zips. 

Akron notes

In 2023, Akron had a year to forget, going just 2-10 on the season with its only wins coming against an FCS team in Morgan State – a game it won by just three points against its rival Kent State, who finished the year with an even worse record of 1-11. 

The Zips had an awful season, and the 2024 season currently looks like it might be more of the same in Akron. The team is currently at 1-3 with its only win coming against an FCS school, Colgate, by a score of 31-20. 

The three losses have all been against Power 4 programs. Akron’s first loss started with a 52-6 blowout in Week One against Ohio State, then a 49-17 loss against Rutgers and most recently the aforementioned 50-6 defeat in Columbia against South Carolina. 

The Zips will look for their first FBS win of the season against Ohio this week, and they will look to get big performances from quarterback Ben Finley and wide receiver Adrian Norton to pull it off. 

Finley this season has thrown for 659 yards, six touchdowns and four interceptions. Norton has been the top target for Finley, going for 236 yards and three touchdowns.

A good chunk of those stats came in Akron’s game against Colgate, though, with Finley throwing for 358 yards and four touchdowns while Norton hauled in five catches for 125 yards and a touchdown.

The defense will need to keep an average Ohio offense up to this point in check, which may be tough as opposing teams have averaged 42.75 points per game against Akron this season. 

Overall, this Akron team has not shown much improvement from last season just yet, and unless improvement comes against Ohio, the Bobcats will have a good shot at their third straight win on homecoming. 

@CharlieFadel

cf111322@ohio.edu