Daphne’s Dispatch: Alumni love Athens

Ohio University alumni love to return to the town that connects culture and community. Whether they grew up in Athens or their first time on the bricks was as a student, the town brings a sort of nostalgia that makes it feel like they never left. 

The charming atmosphere of Athens is enriched with history and charisma. The restaurants, bars and buildings hold stories of their own that alumni have a sort of connection with. Homecoming in Athens is the best excuse for alumni to revisit their second home.

One thing everyone remembers Athens for is its character. The town has been acknowledged by Ohio Magazine as being among the Best Hometowns in 2022.

“They describe the winners as places where strangers are treated like friends, local improvement is a focal point of community pride and where progress still honors the past,” OHIO Today wrote. 

The short walk to uptown makes Athens much more accessible to students. Court Street itself is only a four-block, quarter mile from OU’s Baker University Center on the south end spanning to Carpenter Street meeting at the intersection on the north. 

Athens's rich history on Court Street is significant to the appeal of the city to which alumni feel attached. The Athena Cinema at 20 S. Court St. is home to a 108-year-old theater. The C.I. is the oldest bar in Athens, established in 1917, making it 107 years old. Businesses such as those are still standing, allowing alumni that come back to reminisce on all of the memories from when they were students.

Kevin Walter, an OU alumni from the class of ‘93, has a very special connection to Athens, as he grew up here. His father, Bob Walter, was a geography professor at OU. He shared that his experience of attending OU is different from most that attended.

“[The] reason I went to OU is because he’s a teacher and tuition is free,” Walter said.

Walter’s story continues as he talks about how Athens led him to meet his wife.

“I met the love of my life there,” he said. 

Walter and his wife met because they both worked at the Oak Room, which unfortunately closed, but was located at 14 Station St. The two have been married for 29 years and their daughter, Lucy, currently attends OU. 

“Athens just has a profound effect on my life every time I go there,” Walter said.

He said he is still discovering new businesses in Athens, such as Union Street Diner, which he had never been to when he was a student but now goes when he visits. Walter further mentioned that his personal Athens staples are Miller’s Chicken and The Pub, where he would often go to get a burger and a beer.

As alumni come back to Athens for Homecoming, the city has the same appeal as it did when they attended OU. Buildings may change and new businesses pop up, but as Athens is ever-changing, the community and universal love for the town never goes away. 

Daphne Graeter is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of  The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Daphne know by emailing her at dg422421@ohio.edu.