Ohio University sophomore Jaimason Brooker (7) celebrates after junior Scout Murray (22) scores a goal at the game against Valparaiso, Sept. 1, 2024, at Chessa Field.

Soccer: Back-to-back shutouts propel Ohio into matchup against Western Kentucky

Ohio (3-1-1) goes on the road for a non-conference matchup against Western Kentucky (2-4) Thursday evening. The Bobcats enter this match hot, scoring seven goals while recording back-to-back shutouts against Valparaiso and Marshall. 

Ohio will wrap up its nonconference schedule this week before beginning the first MAC title defense in school history when conference play begins Sep. 19th. 

Match Information

Opponent: Western Kentucky

Time: Thursday, Sept. 12th at 8 p.m.

Location: Western Kentucky University Soccer Complex (Bowling Green, Kentucky)

Where to Watch: ESPN+

Follow live stats here.

Ohio Notes

Ohio has experienced well-rounded success in the past two matches against Valparaiso and Marshall. The offense has been productive with seven goals and five assists across the two matches. Forward Scout Murray tallied a hat trick against Valparaiso on a four shot, 56-minute performance earning her MAC Offensive Player of the Week. Contributions from sophomore forward Jaimason Brooker (two assists vs. Valparaiso) and junior midfielder Eve Berish (four shots, one goal vs. Marshall) have also bolstered the Bobcat’s offensive attack as of late. 

The team’s defense has also been aggressive to begin the year, holding opponents to a 0.80 goals-per-game average and a 0.093 shot percentage. Goalkeeper Celeste Sloma has earned back-to-back MAC Defensive Player of the Week for her efforts against Valparaiso (90-minutes, one save, one shot on goal, shutout)  and Marshall (90-minutes, four saves, shutout). 

Western Kentucky Notes

Western Kentucky is entering the matchup against Ohio on a three-game losing streak. After beginning the season 2-1, Western Kentucky has been outscored 13-1, most recently falling to Arkansas State 2-1 Sunday. Western Kentucky’s offensive attack is spearheaded by senior forward Kayla Meyer, who leads the team in goals, points, shots and shots on goal. Meyer also has recorded 2 game-winning goals in both of Western Kentucky’s victories on the year. She is a clear focal point of the offense and she could present a tough matchup for Ohio’s defense if the game remains close throughout. Shutting her down defensively will be the key to success for Ohio.

Players to Watch

Entering this match, eyes should be focused on the play of goalkeeper Celeste Sloma. Sloma is the reigning back-to-back MAC Defensive Player of the Week, allowing zero goals in Ohio’s last 180 minutes of game time. As the anchor of a physical defensive game plan, she could position herself in line to win a third straight conference award, along with a fourth shutout on the year before conference play has even begun.

bw327020@ohio.edu