All smiles for OU field hockey as they win against Davidson on Sept. 4, 2022.

Field Hockey: Ohio wins in back-to-back tightly contested games

Ohio (2-2) traveled to East Lansing, Michigan, for two matchups over the weekend, winning both in overtime. The Bobcats took down Vermont 2-1 and followed it up with a double-overtime victory against Michigan State, 3-2. Both wins gave Ohio much-needed momentum heading into its next contest against Michigan on Saturday. These games also saw The Bobcats spread the ball around as four players found the back of the net for Ohio.

Game 1

The Bobcats first squared off against Vermont (0-4) in a game where defense stood tall on both ends. Macy Lotze was a stalwart in goal for Ohio, fending off the Catamounts offense time after time, recording four saves in the process.

The Bobcats offense couldn’t find a spark in the first half, leaving the score at 0-0 going into the break. Vermont couldn't have had a better start to the second half. Sofia Lefranc opened up the scoring, putting The Catamounts in front 1-0.

Ohio would quickly respond with a goal of its own in the 40th minute courtesy of junior forward Sasha Dikolta’s first goal of the season to even it up. Regulation would end in a 1-1 tie, leading to an overtime which didn’t disappoint. Sophomore Natalie LaFleur, assisted by Dikolta notched her second goal of the season in what would ultimately be the game-winning goal to give the Bobcats their first win this season.

Game 2

The final game on Ohio’s road trip would not disappoint. Michigan State (2-2) set the tone early with a goal in the 14th minute via Bianca Pizano. Meela Klopp would answer for the Bobcats two minutes later with a penalty goal to even the score at 1-1.

Ellie Rutherford would put the Spartans up once more in the 24th minute with a backhand shot off the tip from Maddie Lawlor to take a 2-1 lead. The scoring would remain stagnant until the 53rd minute when Dikolta tallied her second goal of the weekend to tie the game as time dwindled in regulation.

The final whistle blew with the score tied 2-2, meaning Ohio would have to take care of business in overtime again. Neither team let up an inch in the first overtime. This trend would continue up until the second overtime when, in the 72nd minute, junior Anouk Plaehn sealed the deal with a putback goal to give the Bobcats their second straight win.

me989022@ohio.edu