The Bobcats celebrate after going up 2-1 against Saint Louis University at Pruitt Field in Athens, Sept. 15, 2024.

Field Hockey: Ohio defeats Saint Louis in a dominant 5-1 outing

Ohio (3-3) defeated Saint Louis (0-4) by a score of 5-1. Ohio had a grasp on the game the entire time, with both its defense and offense making major contributions. The same can't be said for Saint Louis, though, as its defense could not fend off Ohio's aggressive offensive attack.

The first score was for Ohio, coming from forward Natalie LaFleur. Saint Louis answered back quickly and scored a goal of its own, courtesy of forward Josefina Perez. This would be Saint Louis' only goal for the rest of the game, unable to capitalize on any further opportunities. Ohio would go on to score again, with back Anouk Plaehn scoring the goal, assisted by Bodhi Littlefield and Emily Risser. The first quarter ended with a score of 2-1, giving Ohio a one-point advantage.

Ohio nor Saint Louis scored a goal in the second quarter as the ball's position changed frequently. Saint Louis had five shots on the goal in the second quarter alone. Part of the reasoning for this was Ohio's goalkeeper, Macy Lotze, as she had four saves in the second quarter. At the end of the quarter, the score remained 2-1 in favor of Ohio.

The third quarter saw Ohio get two more points on the board while keeping Saint Louis scoreless. Midfielder Bodhi Littlefield scored the first goal in the third quarter, assisted by Merle Kal. The second goal came from forward Sasha Dikotla and put Ohio up 4-1. Despite Saint Louis being down by three goals, it continued to attempt attacks on Ohio's goal, but the defense stood strong. With the third quarter ending, Ohio was up 4-1.

The fourth quarter saw another Ohio goal, which came from midfielder Noa Desmartez. Ohio had run the score up to 5-1. Saint Louis didn't give up but neither did Ohio's defense, as Lotze had four more saves in this quarter. A late fourth-quarter goal by Saint Louis would end up being overturned, eliminating any chance of late-game heroics. The fourth quarter ended and Ohio prevailed with a score of 5-1.

All of Ohio's goal came from different players, with five separate players having a goal in this game. Forward Sasha Dikotla was one of those five players who scored a goal this game.

"I think that it shows how versatile we are, that we can go out no matter what position we came from, we can all create those opportunities and we can all execute them," Dikotla said.

With this being a great showing from Ohio, coach Johnstone looks to take this momentum into the two home games next weekend.

"They're working like they can call things on the field and it's really fun to watch the momentum," Johnstone said. "We have a couple of home games coming up. I'll take the momentum all day."

With Ohio ending its last game of the weekend in an overwhelming 5-1 victory, it looks toward next weekend where it has two home games .

bg326422@ohio.edu