Aiden’s Add-On: Places like Washoe County decide elections

America’s “Silver State” now has a daunting decision to make this fall. In a state that is often narrowly won in presidential races, Nevada cannot clearly decide on a consistent political identity. Yet, an understanding of Nevada’s challenges can help to comprehend national voting patterns. 

Among the states that lie along the West Coast, there remains a clear tossup line between the progressive-leaning Southwestern states, those along the Pacific Coast and the two states whose polls are incredibly close: Nevada and Arizona. 

Nevada, however, is made of two areas of influence which create a unique deciding factor for voters during every election cycle. According to U.S News, Clark County, which houses Las Vegas and its suburbs, makes up nearly 75% of Nevada’s population. Washoe County, which houses Reno, contains less than 16% of the state’s total population. However, it acts as a deciding county between Clark County and its northern, rural neighbors that house nearly 10% of the remaining population. 

Southern Nevada has been a strong Democratic-leaning region in recent elections, including 2020 when president Joe Biden narrowly won the state, defeating former President Donald Trump, 50.1% to 47.7%, according to CNN

During this election, Biden won Washoe County 50.8% to 46.3%, similar to the state’s final polling results.

In a state that consists of rising grocery prices, a housing crisis and wildfire danger, Nevada remains elusive in defining its identity on a national scale. Many conservatives have created campaigns that point to immigration as a problem in the state. Progressives find themselves in a battle of enshrining abortion into the state’s constitution. Both parties, however, are attempting to speak to working families in an appeal for their vote. 

An interesting facet to consider is that Washoe County has increased its manufacturing presence, including the construction of Tesla gigafactories, which now employ thousands of individuals. According to the Nevada Independent, the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center in Storey County has pushed economic growth in northern Nevada, and state leaders see the area “as a key to the country’s energy future.” According to Tesla, the company “directly hired more than 11,000 team members” since 2014. 

There are many complex factors that influence how Nevadans see the well-being of their state. The state of the economy remains a pressing issue, while some are equally concerned about the protection of their civil and voting rights. 

Places like Washoe County are some of the most “purple” voting blocs in the United States, politically speaking. They are fascinating regions of overlapping values and cultural norms that occupy a relatively small area of the U.S. Every election, these counties taunt political pollsters, as the state’s demographics continue to shift in the face of California migrants, immigrants and a younger, more well-educated population. It is a place of diversity whose voting results often mirror those of the national election. 

It is critical that individuals, regardless of their state, register to vote in the next six weeks before the election. The citizens of Washoe County, however, will likely show the fate of American democracy when it appears on the ballot this November. 

Aiden is a freshman studying journalism. Please note that the views expressed in this column do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Aiden? Reach him on Instagram at @aiden_with_an_i_ or email him at ar260223@ohio.edu.