Athens City Police Department Patrol Officer, Darren Olexa standing in front of two police cruisers, Feb.24,2024 during a routine traffic stop in Athens Ohio.

Pickerington man banned from OU campuses

Ohio University Police Department released a statement Thursday regarding numerous reports of concerning social media posts from Michael Rinthalukay, who has now been banned from all OU campuses.

The statement said the 27-year-old from Pickerington has been banned from the Athens campus and all regional campuses. 

OUPD said they do not believe there is an ongoing threat but are requesting anyone who sees Rinthalukay on any campus to call 911.

According to public records from the Athens Municipal Court, a warrant was out for Rinthalukay’s arrest for having weapons under disability, which happened in January. Having weapons while under disability is a third-degree felony, according to Ohio Laws.

In 2022, Rinthalukay was arrested in Shelby County, Indiana, and charged with resisting law enforcement, aggressive driving, reckless driving, leaving the scene of a property damage accident and criminal recklessness. 

Rinthalukay was taken into custody Sept. 3 by the Athens Police Department, and charges were subsequently filed. As of Friday afternoon, he remains in custody, according to an OUPD press release.

@_suziepiper

sp249021@ohio.edu