Jillian Kay poses for a portrait on College Green in Athens, Sept. 9, 2024.

Jillian Kay rises to Athens music scene

There is no question the Athens music scene welcomes a multitude of individuals to showcase their talents and express themselves. However, to the surprise of many Bobcats, some of Athens' aspiring musicians are fellow students.

Among the several students enrolled in Ohio University’s School of Music, Jillian Kay, a sophomore studying music production and recording, is one of Athens' rising artists who shares a strong passion for songwriting. 

“A big reason why I turned to music and to songwriting is because it has saved me in a lot of ways,” Kay said. “It makes me feel understood.” 

Kay said her passion for songwriting started at an early age, and she was heavily influenced by her family's love of poetry and music. 

“My grandparents, they played a big part in my childhood and still do now,” Kay said. “They helped raise me and so I was there a lot … one of my favorite things to do was just sit in the living room and listen to records with them.” 

Despite growing up around music, Kay said it wasn’t until she attended an event hosted by the Women in Music Industry, also known as WIMI, that she decided to change her major. 

“I wanted to go into the music production scene and I was terrified because I didn’t know anybody,” said Kay. “I was introduced by a friend to WIMI, and I ended up joining the group.” 

Kay said WIMI encouraged her to jump right in, learn about the Athens music scene and make connections with passionate musicians. 

It wasn’t long until Kay found herself performing live at popular Court Street vendors. The Union and Donkey Coffee encourage local artists to come out and showcase their talents. Emma Webb, a sophomore studying journalism, is a friend of Kays and said her performances are nothing short of thrilling. 

“You can just see the electricity that she brings with her music and her presence on stage is just so strong,” Webb said.

Webb said she is grateful for her friendship with Kay and finds joy in watching her career take off. 

“I am blown away by everything she does with her music,” Webb said. “It is so refreshing to see a musician who is very humble.” 

With the release of her newest single, “Short Lived Summer High,” and live performances on the weekends, Kay’s career is just getting started. Andre Hallenburg, a junior studying contemporary music and digital instruments as well as music production and recording industry, shares a similar enthusiasm for music and said he is excited to be working with Kay this semester. 

“I was actually really excited about the prospect of doing songwriting with Jillian,” Hallenburg said. “I feel like she will be a really good person to talk to about that and work with since she has so much experience and can show me the ropes.” 

Hallenburg said their first rehearsal together was earlier in the week and Kay is easy to work with because of the positive and welcoming environment she creates. 

Whether someone is a new or experienced artist, the idea of writing and performing music can be daunting. Kay said the Athens community has been nothing but supportive thus far. 

“Coming here was so eye-opening, I felt so comfortable and motivated because I’ve been surrounded by these talented people,” Kay said.

Kay hopes to continue sharing her passion for music and encourages new artists to pursue their dreams. 

“Whoever ends up reading this, if there are any younger artists that are coming in and don’t feel that comfortable … I am free, anybody can reach out to me,” Kay said. 

For those interested in listening, Kay’s music can be streamed on all platforms.

gn875322@ohio.edu 

gina_napoli_