Paris Hilton preaches self-love, self-acceptance in “Infinite Icon”

In May 2024, Paris Hilton posted on her Instagram to “spill the tea” about a new project she was working on. Previously, she released her documentary, memoir and other passion projects, so anything was possible. On May 30, she announced “Infinite Icon,” her long-awaited sophomore album, and its Sept. 6 release date.

Although having released singles in the years following Hilton’s first record, “Paris” (2006), “Infinite Icon” marks her return to her true love of music. Hilton’s inspirations for the record come from her deep admiration of dance music and history as a DJ. In an interview with Billboard, she states, “Performing all around the world at music festivals, for thousands of people and being on stage and just really paying attention to what makes people move and how to create those unforgettable dance floor moments – I wanted to bring that energy into the album.”

This energy is felt in the record’s first single, “I’m Free (feat. Rina Sawayama).” With its steady four-on-the-floor beat, the track is glittery with synths, a bouncing bass line, and a bright backing guitar. Its sound is very reminiscent of Dua Lipa’s “Future Nostalgia” or Carly Rae Jepsen’s “The Loneliest Time” with the 2020s dance-pop vibes.

The majority of the album is high energy as the first single, but some tracks are more low key. The opening track, “Welcome Back,” is slow with its glowing synths, bright piano and Hilton’s wispy vocals. It builds with the drums, but it does not kick in until further into the song. Not that it needs the energy, as Hilton’s repetitive “welcome back b----” is enough to rile up the listener.

The next two tracks feature two wildly different features. “Chasin” features pop girl Meghan Trainor with her harmonic backing melodies and vocal runs. Similar to the previous song on the tracklist, it is very much a radio pop track with the inclusion of subtle brass in the background. Then, “BBA” features rap queen Megan Thee Stallion with her inclusion in the second verse. This song is very reminiscent of early 2000s dance pop with a heavy, drilling club beat that makes the listener want to groove.

Another well-recognized pop singer, Sia, makes her appearance known all over this record. After all, she’s named muse, co-writer and executive producer of “Infinite Icon.” The track “Fame Won’t Love You” features Hilton with Sia as the main collaborator. It sticks out against the other songs on the record since it sounds nothing like a Hilton track with Sia’s signature electronic pop sound all over it. Meanwhile, “If the Earth is Spinning” switches the roles with Sia as the feature, and it upholds Hilton’s sound with deep synth rhythms and bright piano.

While the first half of the record has Hilton proclaiming her self-love and independence from her love troubles, the latter half of the record is more reflective of Hilton’s personal life and struggles. It is a mature version of her first record, which spoke to more of Hilton’s partying “bimbo” persona. Tracks like “ADHD,” “Legacy” and “Infinity” speak to this, especially “ADHD” with Hilton opening up about coming to terms with her ADHD diagnosis.

The final two tracks, “Without Love (feat. Maria Becerra)” and “Adored,” mimic the high energy of the first half of the record. “Without Love” contains more electronic elements with a fuzzy, reverbed bass line and robotic vocals. Meanwhile, “Adored” rips with its bright guitar, booming bass and angelic backing vocals. It is a solid wrap-up to the record as it ties all of its pertinent, fun elements together.

Overall, “Infinite Icon” shows a mature, demure version of Paris Hilton; however, she is not afraid to let the listener know she is still the “It Girl” we have always known. It is a solid follow-up to “Paris,” with Hilton’s fun, preppy attitude layered with exciting, nostalgic dance music. There are a few moments on the record that feel quite cheesy or out of the norm, but it’s not meant to be taken so critically. It is supposed to make the listener dance and have fun. If you like the girly pop, club music revival of the 2020s, then this record is for you.

Rating: 3/5

@brookekillslive

bp655221@ohio.edu