A history of OU’s Homecoming traditions

Homecoming week started Monday, and Ohio University will start its annual Homecoming traditions. While the main events happen Thursday through Homecoming Saturday, each event has an interesting history related to it.

Homecoming was not officially recognized at OU until November in 1919, when The Post, known then as The Green and White, wrote, “We Are Expecting to See a Large Number of Ohio Graduates at Ohio-Denison Game, Nov. 22. How About it Alumni? Will You Be Here?”

The same newspaper mentioned the school’s preparation as it had to accommodate all of the alumni who may attend. Although this did not officially create Homecoming, it was the first mention of it. 

In 1923, invitations to alumni and fathers of OU students were mailed out in October to celebrate Oct. 19-21. This invitation officially created the Homecoming football game, solidifying the event. That weekend, the marching band and alumni came together to sing and chant in front of Ewing Hall. The school continued to invite alumni and fathers the next year and had another largely successful weekend. 1924 marked the official beginning of Homecoming. 

The “Yell Like Hell” event will take place Thursday. The pep rally began in 2002. Even though the first event was rainy and dark, students and alumni still showed large amounts of school spirit. During this pep rally, students, alumni and staff come together to enhance their school spirit. The attendants are entertained by the cheerleaders, dance team and the Marching 110. 

Kegs and Eggs is not organized by the school, but the event is still an important tradition. Before the parade, friends gather to eat a hearty breakfast and drink some beer. In 2005, President Roderick Davis asked for bars not to open before the parade on Saturday, but this request was ignored. 

Saturday at 10 a.m., Homecoming day officially begins with its annual parade. The parade travels uptown and ends at Peden Stadium in anticipation of the football game, although it originally included Court Street on the route. This parade includes the Marching 110 and any organization that chooses to participate, including clubs, Greek life and athletics. After the parade, there is the Bobcat Family Tent ready to receive Bobcat friends and families. 

Of course, there is a football game Saturday as well. This game is set for 3:30 p.m. in Peden Stadium. As always, there are tailgates and personal events to do before the game. Following the football game, Ohio University jazz hosts an alumni Jazz Jam at 9 p.m. in the Glidden Recital Hall.

The Marching 110 has a very large group of alumni, which is shown during Homecoming. This tradition started in 1973 and has continued to get bigger ever since. On Saturday, the alumni join during the parade, halftime show and post-game show. Viewers can feel a special energy witnessing that many people on the field. 

The alumni band has also acted as protection for the marching band. In 1992, OU was playing Miami during the Homecoming game. After the alumni band performed, the current members stayed on the field to continue their show. Due to the band running long, members of the Miami football team were told to run onto the field and warm up. The alumni band formed a wall and put themselves in the way to prevent this from happening. 

When they threw a football into the band’s formation, an alum took the football from the player and was tackled by Miami’s coach. The story made its way to ESPN, and both teams were criticized for their actions, but the alumni band protected the Marching 110 from getting their show destroyed. 

As it has been happening for over 100 years, Homecoming has seen and been a part of historical events. In 1941, the Marching 110 performed some notable halftime shows. During WWII, the Homecoming show saw the marching band move to create a swastika and have a torpedo destroy it. In 1960, President John Calhoun Baker used Homecoming as a way to inspire people to continue higher education in the fight against global communism.

Homecoming can also be a time to give back and make announcements to alumni. In 1929,  a Homecoming dance took place and a dedication was held for a new football stadium. The Homecoming Hop was a hallmark event at many other Homecoming weekends. During the parade in 1954, a new student center (Baker Center) was dedicated. The dedication pleased alumni, as many of them had put money, ideas, time, and other contributions to the new building.

Homecoming is a long-standing event that students, staff and alumni look forward to every year. Whether you enjoy sports, music or fun events, there is something for you at the Homecoming festivities.

la081422@ohio.edu 

@leanneable00