The Ohio Statehouse in Columbus, Ohio, Jan. 21, 2024.

Franklin County judge rules in favor of Ohio abortion rights

Franklin County Court of Common Pleas Judge David Young issued a decision Aug. 23 blocking a 24-hour abortion ban passed earlier this year. 

The decision comes less than 75 days before the presidential election where reproductive rights are a major topic on the debate stage.

Ohioans enshrined the right to an abortion into the state constitution last November. Since the election, more than 30 laws have been passed by republican legislators outlining additional abortion restrictions.

According to Athens County Democratic Party Chair Lauren Dikis, any unconstitutional law should be overturned.

“Any of these laws that are unconstitutional, or that go against other laws, there will be efforts made to try to overturn them because if they are unconstitutional, they should be overturned,” Dikis said. “What folks are trying to do is protect a woman's right to make (her) own health care decisions.”

Dikis emphasized the importance of keeping the medical decision between women and their doctors and being aware of these ballot issues regarding Ohio’s choice during election season. 

“The enthusiasm that we are seeing from our volunteers and people are really unprecedented … I'm hopeful that we'll have a huge turnout,” Dikis said. “(It’s) really crucial that students make their plans to vote, whether it's absentee or here in Athens early.”

According to the American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio, college students overwhelmingly voted to preserve abortion protections, resulting in some legislators attempting to restrict their access to the polls. 

Dikis said it's important to recognize the variety of political issues represented on the 2024 ballot.

“It is important to know the fight,” Dikis said. “Republicans are going to use every tool in their toolbox to undermine the will of the voters and implement extreme agendas, including ones that try to put the government in between a woman and her doctor.”

Despite Dikis’ positive outlook on this decision, Ohio Attorney General David Yost said he plans to appeal the court's ruling which is inconsistent with previous legislation.

"We have heard the voices of the people and recognize that reproductive rights are now protected in our Constitution. However, we respectfully disagree with the court's decision,” Yost said in a press release. “These are essential safety features designed to ensure that women receive proper care and make voluntary decisions.."

In a statement by Jessie Hill, cooperating attorney for the ACLU of Ohio, she echoed the sentiments of Dikis, saying the victory represented a historic victory for abortion patients and Ohio voters. 

“It’s clear that the newly amended Ohio Constitution works as the voters intend: to protect the fundamental right to abortion and to forbid the state from infringing on it except when necessary to protect the health of a pregnant person,” Hill said. 

Hill said this decision is the first step in removing unnecessary barriers to care with the ACLU celebrating the ruling and hoping to make the injunction permanent. 

@Oliviaggilliand

@og953622@ohio.edu