Daily Rundown: Football: Ohio is home for Bradley Weaver, Rufus the Bobcat's B-day Bash, College Book Store gives back to OU, and more!

Start your day with The Post!

Today is Tuesday, September 10, 2024
Daily Rundown: Football: Ohio is home for Bradley Weaver, Rufus the Bobcat's B-day Bash, College Book Store gives back to OU and more!

Football: Ohio is home for Bradley Weaver

Bradley Weaver, Ohio’s standout defensive end, returns for the 2024 season as a key player after a stellar 2023 season where he led the team in sacks and tackles for loss. Despite considering a transfer following the departure of the defensive coordinator, Weaver chose to stay at Ohio, driven by his strong ties to the team and family. Named a team captain for the new season, Weaver is focused on leading Ohio to a Mid-American Conference (MAC) title, aiming to secure the program's first championship since 1968. Click here to read more. 

Charlie Fadel | September 10, 2024

Photo by Jack Tatham

Rufus the Bobcat's B-day Bash

Ohio University hosted a special celebration in honor of its beloved mascot, Rufus last week! Find out what went into organizing the event and why it holds such significance for the students on campus. To watch the full video, click here.

Mallory Rickel, Caroline Schehl, Hailey Dunne | September 10, 2024

College Book Store gives back to OU

The College Book Store (CBS) at Ohio University, a campus staple since 1952, has evolved from selling primarily textbooks to offering unique apparel like $8.88 T-shirts and $18.04 sweatshirts to set itself apart from other local bookstores. Despite the closure of competing bookstores, CBS remains a beloved fixture thanks to its student-focused approach and community involvement, including frequent donations and local philanthropy. As it gears up for peak seasons like Parents Weekend and football games, CBS continues to thrive by adapting its offerings and maintaining a close-knit, supportive environment for both students and alumni. For more, click here

Disha Hoque | September 10, 2024

Photo by Megan VanVlack

Merchant Market brings blues rock back

Merchant Market, a band formed by Ohio University graduates and students, brings a 60s and 70s-inspired sound to the Athens music scene, drawing influence from The Doors. The current lineup features a mix of students and local musicians, including vocalist Mak Price and keyboardist Carl Mccutcheon, who appreciate the era's fusion of blues, psychedelia, and countercultural themes. Emphasizing camaraderie over competition, the band values connections with fellow musicians and celebrates diversity within the local rock scene. Click here to read more. 

Megan Diehl | September 10, 2024

Photo by Nicole Reese

Editorial: Press must navigate sensitive situations carefully

Opinion: The Post Editorial Board emphasizes the crucial role of journalism in covering sensitive topics with both empathy and accuracy, stressing that avoiding difficult stories can lead to misinformation and increased trauma. They advocate for responsible reporting that balances detail and context, focuses on survivors rather than perpetrators, and provides necessary resources, while acknowledging the challenges faced by their own newsroom during such events. To read the full column, click here

The Post Editorial Board | September 10, 2024

Photo by Vanessa Abbitt