N

6 ways to balance school and work as students

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, 43% of full-time undergraduate students are employed, as of 2018. Of these students, many have to work over 20 hours a week.

It is very easy for these students to become overwhelmed while trying to maintain a work-life balance on top of managing schoolwork and extracurriculars. Although this is not necessarily an easy task, it is certainly doable if done correctly.

Download apps and materials on your phone

By downloading materials onto your phone, you will be able to review notes, flashcards and study guides during breaks or while your job is slow — especially if you work somewhere like a store or restaurant.

Apps utilized in Ohio University classrooms, such as Canvas and Blackboard, can offer a way to look at assignments and class material outside of your laptop. It would also be a good idea to download apps like Quizlet or Khan Academy to review other pieces of course content.

Find easy but nutritious meal ideas

After a long shift, there is nothing you may want to do less than cook a healthy meal. Although you might be tempted to reach for the Lucky Charms box or make a bowl of ramen noodles, it is not always the best idea.

If you eat nothing but heavily processed foods, it can cause health issues, such as certain types of cancers, and may even make you hungrierin the long run. Even something as easy as chicken and rice or a simple salad packed with veggies and a sprinkle of cheese can make a world of difference when it comes to nutrition. If you’re extremely pressed for time, a smoothie made with frozen fruit, yogurt and honey can give you the nutrients you need without taking ages to make. 

Buy or make snacks that can be taken on the go

Rather than eating nothing but a candy bar between meals or on shift, opt for something else. If you have time throughout the week, try to make and pack some homemade snacks, such as homemade trail mix or fruit. If you are short on time, however, there are plenty of healthy snacks that come pre-packaged. Nuts, raisins and certain types of granola bars, such as Lårabar and Kind, are all great examples of easily transportable healthy snacks.

Schedule classes efficiently

It is not fun to run from class to class with little time for breaks. However, you can open up other times for work and maximize your amount of downtime by condensing classes to certain times or days of the week.

For example, it becomes possible to work more on Tuesdays and Thursdays by scheduling most of your classes on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. The schedule planner on Ohio University’s Student Center site allows you to workshop your schedule without fully committing to a class. 

Find a good study space

It is easy to fall into the rhythm of class, work and home. It is even easier to procrastinate when these are the only three spaces you are at throughout the day.

You can create a set study spot, whether it is in your dorm, apartment or places like the library or student center. This will allow you to associate these spaces with coursework and studying, further motivating you to complete your work.

Properly prioritize your classes 

Some classes are going to take a lot more work than others. An organic chemistry class is going to require more attention than a general education course. Therefore, it is important to figure out which of your classes will take the most brain power, and knock out any coursework for them accordingly, allowing you to deal with less intensive coursework later in the day when you are starting to get tired.

as589820@ohio.edu

@alicia_szcz