Provided by Taylor Sappington

Athens residents discuss DNC, importance of Gen-Z in election

Ohio University student Sean Michael and alumnus Taylor Sappington, who recently represented Athens at the Democratic National Convention, or DNC, highlighted the rising influence of Gen-Z in politics and their enthusiasm for the upcoming presidential election.

Sean Michael, a sophomore studying political science and treasurer of the OU College Democrats, spent time the summer planning his attendance at the DNC, which occurred Aug. 19-22.

As a delegate for Ohio’s 10th congressional district, Michael represented counties across Southwestern Ohio, including Montgomery, Greene and a portion of Clark County. His candidacy was determined through a caucus held in January 2024 at a high school gym within the district.

“It was very nerve-wracking,” Michael said. “I didn’t really know what to expect because it is very much an insider process. Then suddenly, I’m there. I’m the youngest person in the room by about ten years.”

Michael noted that he received an email about declaring his candidacy and that by his freshman year of college, he was on the ballot.

“It was a decision I made on a whim,” Michael said. “I forgot about it until I got an email that told me when the caucus was and how it would go down.”

Michael became involved with March for Our Lives, an organization founded by students in 2018 that fights for stricter gun control in the U.S., during the 2020 lockdown.

“I am a younger voice,” Michael said. “I talked about how that informs my experience because my background is in March for Our Lives and gun violence activism.”

Taylor Sappington, Nelsonville city auditor and a candidate for Athens City treasurer, also participated in the DNC. Sappington served as a Party Leader and Elected Official delegate representing Ohio.

IMG_9664.HEIC

“I have watched every convention since I can think of, even as a kid,” Sappington said. “I’ve been into the traditions and mechanisms of elections, dating way back before middle school, in fact.”

Sappington arrived in Chicago for the DNC to represent Southeast Ohio and Athens County, he said, all while repping his Bobcat gear.

“(Talking to Ohio officials) is important, especially when you consider that Athens County is oftentimes the bluest county in the state, but oftentimes these types of (events) don’t have full representation at the table,” Sappington said.

The entrance to the convention was straightforward for Sappington, though he noted the heightened security typical of high-profile events, especially following the attempted assassination of former President Donald Trump in Butler, PA

Michael said his arrival was more difficult, being delayed by protestors and the Secret Service with tear gas being deployed. However, he said the atmosphere was energetic and filled with selfie stations set up all throughout the halls.

Sappington was able to access various sections of the conventions, allowing him to talk to Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan and Anderson Clayton, chair of the North Carolina Democratic Party.

“It felt like I was doing the coolest and most anticipated thing I’ve maybe ever done,” Sappington said.

Michael shared a similar experience, sitting in the Ohio delegation section between politicians such as Rep. Emilia Sykes and Rep. Marcy Kaptur.

Michael said he felt the excitement from the crowd, specifically from Generation Z attendees.

Bobbies at DNC (ALLWEIN).jpeg
Provided by Sean Michael

“Young people are very much more excited to vote nowadays than they were just even a couple months ago,” Michael said. “I think that is going to have ramifications in terms of this election just on a presidential level, but it’s also going to reach down to the congressional and Senate. I think it’s going to be beneficial for democrats.”

Support for Kamala Harris has increased support in recent polls following Biden's drop from the election. She has specifically gained traction with young audiences in lieu of her campaign’s social media tactics to attract Gen-Z voters.

“It does reveal to me the excitement around Kamala Harris as a candidate in a way that I don’t know was felt with Joe Biden,” Michael said. “People are energized. People are ready to show up. The Democratic Party has this new spark to it.”

Sean Slatzer, the OUCD President, is also noticing the reaction from Gen-Z in regards to the Harris Campaign thus far.

“Gen-Z needs to be more aware of voting in general,” Slatzer said. “That’s always where I try to point people to make sure we are voting, that we are expressing our right to vote. As bleak as it seems sometimes, there is always, no matter if a candidate doesn’t support one thing, or if you feel like they aren’t supporting one thing heavily enough, get them in office first, and then we pressure them.”

The same goes for Sappington amidst his campaign for Athens City Treasurer, Sappington said. 

“I hope (Gen-Z) see what I saw when I got involved in politics,” Sappington said. “There is real value in getting involved in City Hall, at your county level, at your state level…It’s the right fight to have, and putting the work in for your community in this country is an inherently good thing when it’s future-looking, forward-leaning, and also inclusive of people who disagree with you.

@maggieallwein24

ma417020@ohio.edu