The Union on West Union Street Sept. 9, 2024.

Athens mixologists share experiences

A bar is nothing without its staff, the warriors of the weekend who keep drinks flowing and spirits high. Bartending requires focus, skill, synchronization and countless other traits that make it one of the most difficult jobs in hospitality. In a town dominated by college students and a going-out culture, local bartenders have experienced a set of highs and lows while at work.  

Conor Mallonn is a junior studying media arts production and a barback at Lucky’s Sports Tavern, located at 11 N. Court St. At work, Mallonn’s responsibilities range from working the door to stocking the bar. 

“My favorite and my least favorite part are the same … and it’s just interacting with customers,” he said. “You get so many interesting people … working at a bar and a bar like Lucky’s is no different.” 

Day in the life of a bartender_9_17_2024_Uhrig_Andrew_1.jpeg
Conor Mallonn a bartender for Lucky's in Athens, Sept. 17, 2024. Provided by Conor Mallonn

Another Athens bar known for its crowd is The Union at 18 W. Union St. Rachel Couch started working at The Union in 2017 as a cleaner and has since worked her way up to a manager position. 

“I don’t bartend because I like cocktails, I bartend because I like hospitality for show venues,” Couch said.  

Bartending at The Union is distinctive to many other adjacent jobs in Athens. Couch is frequently exposed to a variety of live events and the resulting crowds, which vary from professors to metalheads to new 21-year-olds. 

“I like working here because I really like live music,” she said. “I grew up around a lot of live music and this has just been a really, really nice way to be a part of that community.” 

Couch enjoys the active and busy nature of her job, and as a former dance major, she finds comfort in the fluidity of bartending. 

“I love that flow state when I am serving drinks as fast as I … possibly can, and falling into that rhythm while there’s music playing is just incredible,” she said.  

Kara Coffey is another one of Athens’ local mixologists, a job she pursued because of her aptitude for “anticipating people’s needs.” Coffey bartends at both Smiling Skull Saloon, 108 W. Union St., and The Pub, 39 N. Court St. 

“I work at the two best bars in town, in my very humble opinion, because I have really kind bosses and I work for two families,” she said. 

Coffey has enjoyed spending time at the two bars both on and off shift, getting to know her coworkers and patrons while serving in two roles: establishment employee and fellow frequenter. 

“I’ve made a lot of really amazing friends (at The Pub),” she said.  

Although all three bartenders enjoy many aspects of their work, such an intense job also comes with its downsides. Couch and Coffey both stress the importance of tipping bartenders, a practice that is often lost on college students. Meanwhile, Mallonn emphasizes being understanding with the bar staff. 

“Know that we’re college kids too,” he said. “We have classes at 9:30 in the morning the next day.” 

Despite the harsh reality of being a full-time student while working such a demanding job, Mallonn believes bartending as a college student in a college town also comes with its perks. 

“We’re having as much fun as you guys are when you’re out at the bars … we get to just have fun with you guys,” he said. “We’re the ones making the drinks, we’re the ones letting you guys have this fun and it’s just nice to be able to have that space where you get to be out all the time.”

Couch agrees bartending is certainly fun, but stresses the fact that it is still a job she is paid to do and do well. 

“People get kind of confused when we don’t want to do shots with them, but I have math I need to do,” she said. “I’m responsible right now, if something goes wrong I need to fix it. It’s a fun job but it’s not a party.” 

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu