The outside of Lucky's bar in Athens on Court Street, Sept. 23, 2024.

Athens bar review: Lucky’s and Cat’s Eye are grand stops on Court Street

Athens houses over 20 different bars, with 15 on Court Street alone. With all of Ohio University students back in town, it is time to review the bars and get an inside look. Lucky’s Sports Tavern and Cat’s Eye Saloon are at the top of the strip of bars, beginning the list of bars to review. 

Richard Zippert, the owner of Cat’s Eye, has owned the bar for 34 years. Zippert is an OU alumnus who worked at the bar when he was a student before he bought the bar. He said his bar stands out on Court Street because it’s more traditional. 

“Being a bar, we’re not super loud, (we’re) a little more laid back than some of the bars,” Zippert said. “We’re (also) the official Browns Backers Bar.”

Cat’s Eye is located at 12 N. Court St., and typically has different shot and drink specials at night and 14 different types of drinks on tap. The drinks on tap vary often with drinks from Little Fish, Ohio craft beer, Fat Head’s, Great Lakes and Jackie-O’s. 

Some of the specials for the week can be found on the bar’s Instagram, with specific ones related to Cleveland Browns football games. Some of the specials during Browns games include free food like chili dogs, buffalo chicken dip, chips and salsa. The drink specials during games are $1.50 PBR cans, $2.50 Orange Bombs and Joe Thomas Kölsch Pints for $3. 

The typical crowd you can find in Cat’s Eye is a mix of undergraduate and graduate OU students, locals and athletes. Zippert has the bar decorated in a lot of athletic gear that is gifted to them. It is a cozy setting for anyone to come enjoy a football game or enjoy their favorite drinks on tap. Being at the top of Court Street’s bars, it is one of the best places to stop in for a drink. 

Lucky’s is located across the street from Cat’s Eye at 11 N. Court St., making it another great stop at the top of the strip. 

Tanner Smith, a senior studying social work, is a bartender at Lucky’s. Smith said he enjoys going to the bar when he is not working because of the comfortable atmosphere inside. 

“I love it here,” Smith said. “I honestly think that the atmosphere can really change, but I love that it's just very chill. The people can choose their own music, so it can be such a different vibe depending on the night.” 

Smith also described Lucky’s as having a more homey, chill vibe compared to other bars on Court Street.

Lucky’s also has a cheaper menu than others, drawing more customers in. The current weekly specials can vary, but their most popular special is the liquor pitcher special. Some of the specials include a $2 shot on Tuesday, all day margaritas on Mondays and all day happy hour and mug deals on Sundays. 

“I feel like our big (special) is the liquor pitcher nights on Wednesdays,” Smith said. “It is $5 a pitcher. We tell people almost any double can be made into a pitcher. Some people (also) get the mixed drinks.” 

Lucky’s also hosts trivia on Tuesdays at 8 p.m. Smith said the bar becomes a full house with close to 20 teams. The bar itself stands out on Court Street because it is very long on the inside and has an extensive shot menu for customers to select from. 

Lucky’s Sports Tavern is another great bar stop for those looking for a fun night out with friends, play some pool or learn some trivia. Both Cat’s Eye and Lucky’s both make grand additions to the bars in Athens while having something unique about them. 

Cat’s Eye Saloon: 5/5

Lucky’s Sports Tavern: 5/5

@ashleypomplas

ap125920@ohio.edu