Students work on the second floor of the Vernon R. Alden Library in Athens, Sept. 16, 2024.

Alden Library purchases resource for students, faculty research

Alden Library purchased Sage Research Methods, a research methods resource, to promote student and faculty research and instruction, according to university news.

The Sage Research Methods package provides resources for qualitative research methods, including more than 500 downloadable datasets, code books and instructional materials that provide walk-throughs of the data analysis.

The Sage Research Methods package also includes resources for quantitative research, such as software guides for understanding popular data analysis tools like SPSS, R, Stata and Python.

According to Data Services Librarian Jonathan Brier, Sage Research Methods allows students to learn research methods from a collection of instructional material. 

“There are a lot more…opportunities to do assignment practice,” Brier said. “For faculty who are actually creating assignments, there’s a lot of resources that they could get sample data sets, along with techniques. Students have access to that, too.”

Brier said the Sage Research Methods package provides instructional material that university classes may not cover. 

“There’s specialized stuff that your courses don't necessarily go into the details of unless you're in advanced classes…because (the university) doesn't have enough people for specific methods to cover in that detail,” Brier said.

Sage Research Methods provides information beyond methods, such as research ethics, according to Brier.

Brier said the university bought Sage Research Methods core and the data set Diversifying and Decolonizing Research.

“It's kind of a different way of thinking about how research has impact, and it's a critical approach to thinking about when you do research what you are actually having an effect on the subjects,” said Brier. 

According to Brier, the package provides research methods and ethics and incorporates research conceptualization.

“There's a project planner about conceptualizing how to construct your research,” Brier said. “Essentially, it walks you through the general, linear path of thinking about research.”

Wanyi Liu, a first-year PhD student in Mass Communication, said she wished she had a resource like Sage Research Methods during her master’s program.

“I have done a master's thesis before, and it was a hard time for me,” Liu said. “Conducting research requires a lot of skills and knowledge. The courses I took before were helpful, but they did not fully prepare me for conducting research independently. I wish that I could get more guidance during my research.”

Jack Rohrer, a first-year journalism master’s student, is a beginner researcher who believes a resource like Sage Research Methods will benefit his experience.

“I believe a research methods resource like this will be incredibly beneficial to students and staff alike,” Rohrer said. “Research can be a tad intimidating for those who've never done it before, so having access to all these sources along with tutorials will be greatly beneficial.” 

According to university news, OU will have access to the Sage Research Methods package, resources, and updates through 2029. University members can access Sage Research Methods through the Ohio University Libraries website

@TaylorOrcutt

@to708620@ohio.edu