Album Review: Suki Waterhouse’s “Memoir of a Sparklemuffin” enchants, electrifies 

With her distinctive sound and perspective, Suki Waterhouse has made a name for herself alongside the dominating women of modern pop. The influence of some of her peers, such as Phoebe Bridgers and Lana Del Rey, can be heard in her most recent album, “Memoir of a Sparklemuffin.” These influences fuse with Waterhouse’s distinct atmospheric style to create an instant classic of her discography.  

Outside of her career in music, Waterhouse acted in projects like “The Divergent Series: Insurgent” (2015) and “Daisy Jones & the Six” (2023). Well before achieving the coveted success of opening for Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour in August, her single, “Good Looking,” went viral in 2022 and brought her sound to millions of listeners. 

Waterhouse has done something truly unique for a modern musician: she has created a completely original sound by striking an even balance between pop music and an indie rock edge. “Memoir of a Sparklemuffin” beautifully exemplifies this balance and is everything the album’s strange title alludes to and more. 

The album begins with “Gateway Drug,” initially very reminiscent of her most famous track. The ethereal guitars and vocals captivate the listener for just over a minute before giving way to a much heavier dynamic, introducing the indie rock genre into her sound early on. The opening track melts smoothly into “Supersad,” a perfect example of Waterhouse’s balance between bright pop and distorted alternative music.  

This collaboration of styles aligns with the duality of the album; the theme of any given song could range from an angry lamentation to a ballad of adoration. The back-to-back tracks “Legendary” and “Everybody Breaks Up Anyway” represent this juxtaposition toward the end of the album, the former a fantastical and wholesome depiction of her life and the latter a heartbreaking ballad with the style of an early 20th-century crooner.  

In addition to combining pop and rock, Waterhouse manages to sneak a third influence into her genre. The first hints of folk music are heard in the subtle twang of a guitar in “Faded,” but the genre is shrouded in melancholic strings and a distinctly modern sound. “My Fun” furthers this folksy energy with tambourines, exciting interjections and a simple yet satisfying rhyme scheme, emblematic of a casual and communal jam session. 

Another example of this folk sound comes in the form of “To Get You,” a haunting track complete with vivid storytelling. The lilting bridge in this song demonstrates Waterhouse’s vocal prowess, one of the most important contributors to her style. 

Lullaby” is another notable example of Waterhouse’s unique vocals; the combination of falsetto singing and dream-like, muted instrumentals work together to create an ethereal track. In “Could've Been A Star,” the singer’s voice takes on an interesting and strangely retro quality. The song perfectly captures the lamentation of its title, making it a standout emotional moment on the record. Another standout track is “OMG,” a sensual and bombastic track that can only be strutted to.  

“Memoir of a Sparklemuffin” also demonstrates Waterhouse’s technical musical knowledge, one example being in “Blackout Drunk.” The phrases of the melodic line end on a downturn, lending elements of sadness to the otherwise self-assured and angry number. Her satisfying articulation is another example of her well-rounded musical education. 

The album begins winding down with the penultimate “Helpless,” a sensational track that slowly crescendos before ending on a cliffhanger. The track resolves with the beginning of the final number, “To Love.” The song is a phenomenal culmination of the album’s individual aspects, further proving Waterhouse’s vocal capabilities with sustained notes emblematic of a scream that are somehow pleasing to the ear.  

Although the record is not infallible, has a few moments of brash and unbecoming self-awareness and includes some forgettable songs like “Lawsuit” and “Think Twice,” “Memoir of a Sparklemuffin” is triumphant overall and a portrait of a complicated and talented woman. The album is also more than a balancing act between style and theme. The authentic emotion and brutal honesty of a woman finding balance between her own emotions enhances the experience for the listeners. The singer pours her soul into each track, each one with its creative distinction. 

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu