All about Adele’s break from music

Beloved singer-songwriter Adele announced she will be taking a long break from music following the final shows of her upcoming Las Vegas residency in November. The star has been releasing music since 2006, and over 10 years later, and many fans are asking if this is the end of Adele’s career.

In November 2022, the “Someone Like You” singer began her residency in Las Vegas called “Weekends with Adele.” It followed the release of the hit album “30” and received lots of buzz from critics and fans alike.

However, the road to residency was challenging. The show was postponed from its original start date in January 2022 due to the COVID-19 pandemic and did not begin until November of the same year. In March 2023, Adele announced that she would continue the tour until November.

With fans outpouring their love for the English pop star in October 2023, Adele announced a continuation of the residency. She stated there would be a final 32 shows before wrapping it up June 15. However, the show was once again postponed in February and is now due to conclude in November due to the star's health.

Adele also added a 10-day residency in Munich, Germany, which began in August. The star posted on Instagram following each night of the tour and shared her love of the stage. Upon its conclusion, Adele noted on Instagram, “I am truly touched by the genuine outpouring of love and goodwill I felt from every single person who came to every single show.”

The final Munich show contained more from the star than just praise as Adele announced she would be taking an incredibly long break from music. A clip released on X by a fan showed Adele telling the crowd, “I will not see you for an incredibly long time…I just need a rest. I have spent the last 7 years of my life building a life for myself and I want to live it now.”

Adele has made it very apparent that she does not like the spotlight in the past. In an interview with German outlet ZDF, Adele noted she did not like being famous. The star’s possible leave from music was also reported by BBC, where the singer said, “I miss everything about before I was famous.” But now, the star has officially confirmed the end of her career for the foreseeable future. With 10 shows remaining for Adele, this may be the last time the star performs on stage for quite a while.

The announcement has been met with sadness and grief from fans. However, Adele has taken long breaks from her music before and has made it clear to the public that she does not want to be in the spotlight forever. So while fans are saddened at the official announcement, there is also overwhelming support heading Adele’s way. One fan on X said, “Take all the time you need, live the life you’ve always been dreaming of. We’ll be here when you’re ready.”

Adele will wrap up her performances in Vegas Nov. 23. From there, the break from music could be years, or indefinitely. While the star is away, fans can continue to stream her coveted discography and enjoy the singer’s beautiful voice as long as they want. Whether Adele is headed out of the scene for good or not, her mark on music will be praised and remembered.

@clara_leder

cl125221@ohio.edu