Summer trends here to stay this fall

Although the transition from summer to fall is one of the most anticipated times of the year, it still sneaks up on us each time. With back-to-school season in full swing, it is easy to get lost in class preparation, move-in chaos and catching up with friends.

However, this does not mean fashion has to take the back burner. You can avoid the cost and craze that goes into changing your entire wardrobe by reusing some summer trends that are here to stay.

Coquette fashion

The coquette aesthetic has had a grip on the fashion community for years, but it made an epic comeback near the end of 2023. Amidst the “flurry of cores” including office siren, cottage core and Y2k core, coquette has narrowly survived the rapid fashion cycles.

It is one of the easier aesthetics to incorporate into any season and occasion. The ultra-feminine, flirty and doll-like look can be applied to any outfit with the addition of a bow, lace or tights. Since fall is the season of layering, it is safe to say that coquette accessories are not going anywhere.

Leopard print

All animal prints have been having their moment this summer, but none have made a mark quite like leopard. The leopard vs. cheetah print debate helped leopard prints rise in popularity, showing people the diversity in these warmer-toned, big cat designs.

The deep yellows, oranges and browns of this print will fit perfectly into the fall season. Of course, sustainability in fashion is always in trend, which is why it is worth the search for faux leopard and sustainable brands when shopping.

Loafer shoes

It feels almost sinful to slight the Adidas Samba’s impact this summer. But when it comes to a classic fall staple, the loafer will always win. Where the ballet flats crumble in colder weather, the loafer thrives.

The classic black or brown leather fits well with most outfits, especially those with warmer and deeper fall colors. The shoes also signify the change in activities that come with the fall as we are stepping away from the beach sandals and welcoming the class and work shoes once more.

Western aesthetic

This summer was all about the “coastal cowgirl” style. The ranch-life aesthetic of cowboy boots, big hats, flowy linens and rompers took the world by storm. In the summer, it made for the perfect concert attire but could also be dressed down for the backyard cookout. The same versatility applies this fall. The cowboy and cowgirl look can blend in perfectly at local gigs and parties, but it can also make for a nice personalized touch for everyday errands or work.

Maxi skirts

Mini-skirts got the spotlight this summer by signifying one of the best things to come out of modern fashion: the acceptance of all fits and styles. In record-high temperatures, these skirts, along with their cousin the short-short, made for a comfortable choice. However,  as we head towards those sweet 60 and 70-degree days, the maxi skirt may be your best bet. Flowing down to the ankles, these skirts allow that same summer breeziness while protecting you from the fall chill.

Effortless chic aesthetic

This fall is leaning into effortless beauty with trends such as no-makeup makeup instead of full-beats and heatless blowouts instead of the perfect slick-back bun. There are no qualms with putting in the time and work when it comes to your appearance, but the latest trends harp on enhancing the beauty you already have.

The trend asks you to think about eyebrow lamination instead of filling each one in or overnight twist-outs instead of reaching for the curling iron the next time you get ready. These small changes may look effortless but like most fashion choices, are anything but.

We have hit an interesting point in time where fashion trends are cycling so rapidly that nothing is ever “out” forever. You should keep hold of your summer clothes and more so from years past because you never know when something will make its way back to the main stage. Who knew Jersey Shore’s leopard print purses and Ed Hardy tees would be considered gold in 2024.

@Simone_Writes_ 

st398721@ohio.edu