Ethan’s Excerpts: How to rest in stressful times

The transition back to, or into, college life is a tough one. For upperclassmen, going from the workplace back to the classroom is a stark contrast. And for incoming freshmen, going into a completely new environment surrounded by people you do not know is overwhelming.

Not to mention the amount of things that pile up once classes start. For example, not only will I be dealing with coursework this semester, I will also be working a part time job and writing for multiple publications while trying to maintain a social life. All those daily stressors can build up and consume you, but they do not have to.

According to the American Institute of Stress, 45% of college students in the U.S. experience “more than normal amounts of stress.” The question then becomes: “What is a normal amount?” In a study by the American Psychological Association where people ranked their stress on a scale of 1-10, the average was 4.9, with 3.6 considered to be a “healthy” amount of stress.

Many options are available to lessen or remove stressors from our lives. Obviously, there is no getting rid of coursework or other responsibilities, but there are ways you can lessen the negative impact they have on your life.

One of the key ways to manage and reduce stress is to plan your time wisely. Creating a calendar of what needs to be done will help you better evenly divide your time to make things feel less overwhelming. Applications like Outlook and Gmail have built in calendars, giving you notifications as deadlines approach. Physical calendars allow you to actually write out what you need to do, as writing may help you remember better than typing. Personally, I keep a whiteboard up in my room with a to-do list along with a digital and physical calendar to keep track of dates.

Another way to reduce stress is getting active and outside. Many studies have shown spending time outdoors has a positive effect both on physical and mental health, improving mood and getting you fresh air. Being active also increases endorphins and dopamine in your brain, which increases mood.

Having a creative outlet, or a healthy outlet of any kind, can take your mind away from things that are negatively impacting your life. Obviously this comes with time management, but slotting in time to read, write, paint or whatever makes you happy will increase your mood and take worries off your mind. And if you incentivise yourself with your outlet, such as “if I complete this assignment I will allow myself to read a chapter of my favorite book,” you will be more likely to complete the task.

Humans are social creatures, so having a support system of people to talk to is an important way in managing anxiety. Whether it be a few close friends or a being part of a club or organization, having people around you who understand what you are going through to talk to is not just a way to reduce stress but also fulfill our basic human needs.

Lastly, seek help from professionals if things become too overwhelming. Ohio University Counseling and Psychological Services provides numerous tools for students. Resources the office offers include therapy, group counseling and support spaces, among others. 

College is really what you make it. There are things I regret doing (or rather, not doing) my first year that I plan to change this year. If I had gotten out more and not got so caught up in working, I may have had a more enjoyable year. While I am very proud of a lot of the work I did, had I managed my time better and put myself out there more, my freshman year would have been even better.

Ethan Herx is a sophomore studying photojournalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to share your thoughts? Let Ethan know by emailing or tweeting them at eh481422@ohio.edu or @ethanherx.