Shana Collins works to protect students’ mental health

Shana Collins, a junior studying creative writing and psychology, has been making waves with her advocacy work at Ohio University, focusing on student mental health. 

Collins has used her platform on Instagram as well as her membership in other on-campus student organizations to share university resources and push for new policies for students. She is the co-host of the open-mic poetry night at Donkey Coffee and a member of Sigma Tau Delta and Active Minds. 

Collins said her student involvement allows her an outlet for creativity. She said after seeing many of the same students in housing communities, student organizations and classes, she has been able to connect with others. 

Collins joined Student Senate as a vice commissioner in the Academic Affairs Commission last semester by speaking out for a bereavement bill, later joining the commission.

“It started with me emailing some people because I actually had an idea for a policy before I was a part of Student Senate,” Collins said. “Because of that policy, it just fits in with the Academic Affairs Commission because it regards attendance and other academic things.” 

She was inspired to start the bill after suffering a loss in the family and realizing there was no university-wide bereavement policy. 

“It can get kind of confusing to know like, ‘How many days am I allowed off?’” Collins said. “Consistency and advocating for student mental health when it comes to grief is important.” 

Collins said she got involved after pushing for the policy and hasn’t looked back since. 

Collins also has worked on Finals Fest and other various activities to help students de-stress during finals season.

“Just doing small events like that, to almost give students permission to pause for a second,” Collins said. “I think sometimes, including myself, people need that reminder that, ‘Hey, it’s OK to pause.’” 

Being a student representative, Collins said she tries to carry her advocacy into her Student Senate role. 

“I just think it’s really important because it does impact other aspects of people’s lives and I just want students to know, at least in my eyes, that the people that are leading them are there for them and want to continue advocating for them,” Collins said. 

Collins also uses her social media to market and advocate for student mental health and events on campus. 

“I think it’s important no matter what department the event is in that people know about it,” Collins said. “I would say I use social media for awareness … but also promotion of events.”

Collins said she uses her connections with others to help her succeed in a student leadership role but also to keep her motivated to continue her work.

“It’s great knowing some of the people that are higher up at this university as well, and being able to connect,” Collins said. “It’s good to say, ‘Hey, I don’t know the answer to this question, but I know somebody who may be able to help answer this question.’” 

Riley Rees, Collins’ co-host at Donkey’s poetry open-mic night, said they met Collins through a poetry group and later went on to ask her to co-host for the last academic year.

“She’s very outgoing but she’s just always open to not only meeting new people, but just being very empathetic to where people are at,” Rees said. “I think that has really encouraged her work.”

Rees said Collins carries this into her advocacy in Student Senate and beyond by seeing the struggles people are facing, being able to relate to them and then wanting to help.

Rees also said Collins has mentioned trying to get policies on the books for students to take advantage of them and to make sure there is something set in stone for anyone on campus who is in a situation where they need extra support

“So it is not just people she knows individually, but trying to help the student body as a whole,” Rees said. 

Rees said Collins is very dedicated and passionate as a person but also kind to others around her.

“That passion is not only in her own creativity but also being kind to others and being supportive of others,” Rees said. 

Collins said she wants to continue her passion for helping others in the future and is considering attending graduate school to become a neuropsychologist or a clinical psychologist.

“I definitely want to be the person who is approachable,” Collins said. “I don’t want to be the person in which people are afraid to ask for help.”

@emthegemmy 

es542222@ohio.edu