Athens City police officer Nathan Braglin conducts a traffic stop near Ohio University, Feb. 24, 2024

As students return, OU improves safety, privacy measures

Last February, the Ohio University Police Department received a report of an unknown male suspect recording a female student in the shower. Five months later, the effects of that incident are still prevalent among students on campus. 

According to OUPD Captain Tim Ryan, the department is dedicated to maintaining a safe and secure environment while the investigation is ongoing. He added that safety is a community effort and encourages people to report if they see suspicious activity.

“While we are on patrol 24/7-365, we obviously can’t be everywhere at all times,” Ryan wrote in an email.  

He suggests students follow guidelines such as not propping doors open, keeping doors and windows locked and attending training programs.

“If you see something, say something,” Ryan wrote. “The community’s vigilance is a great force multiplier, ensuring we have more eyes in more locations. We will respond to check out the circumstances you report and intervene when necessary.”

OUPD provides training and programming on topics such as Rape Aggression Defense for Women, Self-Defense and Active Aggressor, along with more generalized safety presentations depending on topics such as Halloween or Fest Season.

Similarly, Director of Housing and Residence Life Jneanne Hacker said Ohio University remains committed to making the safety and security of students its top priority.

“Soon after the reported incident last spring, Housing and Residence Life met with many of its residential students so we could hear their concerns and learn more about their recommendations to enhance their sense of safety and well-being,” Hacker wrote in an email.

Housing and Residence Life began work with Facilities Management and Safety to review the feasibility of implementing several student-proposed solutions.

These solutions include increased electronic swipe access points and bathrooms with locks. OU’s Student Senate Residence Life Commission adopted the push for bathrooms with locks and has gained traction through a petition online. 

According to Hacker, Housing and Residence Life has engaged with students and representatives from the Student Senate throughout the Spring Semester and discussed several approaches for moving forward. 

“We value student feedback to inform continuous improvement strategies,” Hacker said. “We remain committed to including single-use bathrooms in both our new construction and future renovations of existing facilities to better support our residential students’ accommodations needs and requests for increased privacy.” 

Student Senate has endorsed Housing and Residence Life's move to install electronic access devices on mod-style doors. Additionally, Housing and Residence Life is currently exploring magnetized shower curtains, which is another recommendation on behalf of the Student Senate, to keep them in position during use.

According to Student Senate Residence Life Commissioner Mae Thomas, however, neither of these responses has led to significant change.

“People didn't feel comfortable, and part of that is because of the actual voyeurism,” Thomas said. “Other parts are because on the curtains, of the showers that still have them, you can see gaps on either side. People don’t feel comfortable changing in the shower or being able to shower without knowing if someone's looking at them.”

Thomas suggested students facing sexually-based offenses or privacy violations report it to OUPD and contact the Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility. Additionally, she encourages students to speak up and contact Counseling and Psychological Services and the Survivor Advocacy Program if they need help.

“We are always looking for different solutions, and I want to set up a meeting with Housing and Residence Life as soon as possible to discuss this, along with my commission,” Thomas said. “It's a good cause to fight for, and we are trying to address it.”

Oliviaggilliand

og953622@ohio.edu