Haylee’s Hub: Getting involved is necessary, valuable

I always rolled my eyes at the people encouraging me to get involved during college. Part of me felt it was pointless. College is just for the classes, right?

During my first semester in college, I completely neglected the idea of getting involved in clubs or organizations. After all, I was desperately trying to keep my head above water; college is a huge adjustment. 

While I don’t regret taking it slow my first semester, I do regret not making it more of a priority to get involved. If I would have gotten involved sooner, it would have been less intimidating to jump in.

According to a research study done by Ohio State University, getting involved in co-curricular activities leads to higher outcomes in all aspects of a student's life. The study shows that involvement is positively related to academic performance, cognitive development, well-being, leadership and multicultural awareness.

I experienced this first-hand when I decided to join The Post. I always knew I wanted to get involved in student media, and joining a renowned campus newspaper gave me a sense of pride and accomplishment.

The resources and networking opportunities you gain when joining a club or organization are invaluable. A big part of college is networking, and if you have that advantage, it will help you in the future.

Ohio University offers hundreds of different clubs and organizations to join. There is something out there for everyone; you can find them all through BobcatConnect. BobcatConnect is a handy resource for all Ohio University students to access various clubs, organizations, events and more. I’ve spent a lot of time exploring BobcatConnect, and there is truly something for everyone.

Getting involved doesn’t mean just clubs or organizations, it can also mean getting involved within your major. It is easy to go through college and not engage with things on a deeper level; I was guilty of that.

Since I started to introduce myself to my professors and build deeper connections with other students, I feel more connected to OU and my major as a whole. Learning about your major and some of the specific things it has to offer can open up so many doors. Don’t sit idly by, these four years are for you to learn, grow, explore and gain deeper perspectives; once we are in the workforce those opportunities are rare. 

College is what you make of it and while you don’t need to go down the traditional path, it is essential to make the most out of these four years.

I’m an incoming junior and it does go fast. I would always disregard that notion and think I have plenty of time, but it truly flies by. Before you know it, you’ve been in Athens for two years and you only have two more left.

While involvement is important, don’t feel pressured to jump in immediately; take some time to get adjusted and used to college life. When you feel ready to make that leap, you won’t regret it.

Haylee Leasure is a junior studying journalism. Please note that the opinions expressed in this column do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk about the column? Email Haylee at hl125421@ohio.edu