Things to do in Athens for Welcome Week 2024

The annual Welcome Week tradition is back as Ohio University welcomes Bobcats to their home in Athens with a week-long celebration to kick off the new school year.

This year’s kicks off on Thursday, Aug. 22 and lasts until Saturday, Sept. 1. Here are the best events on the Athens campus during the week.

Involvement Fair 

One Welcome Week event is the involvement fair, which is held annually at College Green after first-year students have completed their convocation. The fair hosts over 500 student organizations tabling on College Green from 3 to 6 p.m. on Aug. 25.

It is a time for students to explore the clubs, sport teams and various organizations OU has to offer. Students can talk to student-led clubs, sports team members and anyone in between about why they are involved and what makes their organization special. Students can sign up to be a part of an organization during the fair or plan to try out for a team.

First-year students will not want to miss this event. It is the only time during the school year when every opportunity to get involved will be right at their fingertips. Returning students can also attend the fair and learn about ways to get involved on campus. If you are looking to join an organization, you can get a head start by exploring what OU has to offer on Bobcat Connect. 

Party at Ping

This year, OU’s Office of Well-Being and Recreation is hosting a party on the front lawn of Ping Center from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 24. The party will have live music and free food from restaurants such as Insomnia Cookies and Papa John’s. Students can also enjoy a 360-degree photo booth to capture memories with new and old friends.

The event is open for new and returning students on campus. It is a great opportunity to enjoy some non-dining hall food, let loose with your friends and add something new to your usual Saturday night plan. 

Rooftop movie

The Athena Cinema is a Court Street treasure and is a popular destination for movie nights. This year, the cinema is hosting a rooftop screening of “Midsommar” to welcome back students on Wednesday, Aug. 28. The event will be held on top of the Athens City Parking Garage on 15 East Washington Street and begin at 8:30 p.m. OU students can get in free with their Bobcat I.D., with seating beginning at 7:30 p.m.

This outdoor movie experience is a great opportunity to relax and unwind during the first week of classes. So, grab your friends and enjoy the show!

Welcome Weekend parties

If you are choosing to partake in the party atmosphere of OU, you would not want to miss the Welcome Weekend parties. Mill Street is lined with houses that will be throwing parties, mainly fraternity annex houses, on Friday, Aug. 23, and Saturday, Aug. 24. Keep an eye out on social media for locations and start times. Welcome Weekend parties have a carefree atmosphere, with new and returning Bobcats alike filled with energy for the new year. 

As you hop around Mill Street, remember to be safe and responsible, follow the no open container policy and stick with a group. Welcome Weekend parties are a highlight of every year, but getting in trouble will put a damper on the whole experience. 

Bobcat fireworks show

After your first exciting week on campus, you can end it on a high note with a firework show and block party held on Saturday, Aug. 31 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Paw Print Park on South Green. The show promises to be exciting and fun, with the block party offering free ice cream and live music from a DJ. 

This is a great opportunity for any student to wrap up their first welcome week with new friends and an exciting night show.

cl125221@ohio.edu 

@clara_leder