Kam Hunt (23) scores a point at the Ohio University vs Eastern Michigan University Senior Day volleyball game, Nov. 4, 2023.

Volleyball: Names to watch for in the 2024 season

After a dominant regular season that saw Ohio finish second in the Mid-American Conference East Division, Ohio came up short in the 2023 MAC Tournament, losing 3-1 in the first round to Toledo, who finished under .500 for the year.

Because all three of the team’s Academic All-District Team selectees graduated, Ohio will look to find impact from new faces, some previously on the roster and some not. Here are some of those names to keep tabs on for the 2024 season.

Anna Kharchynska, Junior

Following an impressive sophomore season that saw Kharchynska finish second on the team in points and kills, the Kyiv, Ukraine native could be the first-place finisher in both of those stats this season. With the graduation of Caitlin O’Farrell, one of the MAC’s most productive offensive players last season, Kharchynska will be looking to fill her role as one of the leaders on the team. 

Kharchynska, standing 6-foot-3-inches, is the tallest Bobcat on the roster this season. Her 94 blocks led the team last season, and that will be unlikely to change in her junior season, facing off against opponents’ lead hitters on the opposite side.

Chariti McKeller, Junior

Much like Kharchynska, McKeller will be looking to replace one of last season's most productive players in the MAC. Tria McLean, who ranked seventh in the MAC in assists last season, has graduated, paving the way for McKeller to take over as the primary setter on the team.

Last season, McKeller was a productive release valve for McLean, recording 271 assists in 59 sets played. Although she wasn’t as productive per set as McLean or her fellow graduate Parker Kwiatkowski, McKeller will have the chance to spread her wings this season with an otherwise inexperienced setter group behind her.

Kam Hunt, Sophomore

Sophomore Kam Hunt, who was Ohio’s most productive freshman this past season, is likely to replace O'Farrell as Ohio's primary outside hitter. Hunt made 20 starts in her freshman campaign, recording 302.5 points and 263 kills, ranking third and fourth on the team in those categories, respectively.

Hunt is an excellent athlete who was Ohio’s most active hitter defensively in terms of digs, with a respectable 1.38 digs per set last season. Across from Kharchynska, Hunt will look to be a part of a dominant hitting duo for the Bobcats in the 2024 season.

Darbi Ricketts, Freshman

Ricketts provides a unique two-way versatility on Ohio’s roster. At 5 feet, 7 inches tall, Ricketts is registered as both an outside hitter and a defensive specialist on the official roster, giving Ohio someone who can fill two roles on a team looking to make up production at both positions.

At Little Miami High School in Cincinnati, Ohio, Ricketts was named team captain in her junior and senior season and was an All-ECC Academic Achievement Award recipient all four years. On the court, she recorded a nearly even number of kills and digs with 840 and 826 respectively.

@LoganA_NBA

la486821@ohio.edu