Student-owned businesses boom in Athens

The entrepreneurial spirit has surged in recent years, and 2024 is proving to be an exceptional year for student-owned small businesses at Ohio University. 

Capitalizing on niche markets and personalization has led to success for many student entrepreneurs, reflecting broad consumer trends toward individualized offerings. 

Tailored wellness products, eco-friendly products, customized gifts and more have proven to sell.

Emily Rogers, an OU graduate and business owner, said personalizing products and customer interactions are a large component of successfully running a small business.

“For me, a lot of my actual products are very nostalgia-driven,” Rogers said. "I feel like, especially with me, using found objects and old toys and things like that, getting people's personalized takes on (products) is something I really value, especially when speaking one on one with a customer.”

Rogers mentions loving nostalgic reactions and stories from customers.

“Getting ‘Oh, I remember when this was popular,’ or getting customer stories is probably one of the better parts of being a small business owner in keeping things more personalized,” Rogers said.

Rogers also mentioned students should shamelessly seek resources that aid their creative endeavors. 

“I've always just done a lot of online research for different grants and different scholarships and online opportunities,” Rogers said. “I don't think people should be looked down upon for searching out those other like third party financial opportunities.”

Rogers recently created in collaboration with VERAZO, a platform for artists to showcase their one-of-a-kind work. The Green Funky Faces Oversized Hoodie is currently for sale, along with more pieces on their Instagram.

Darian Knapp, an OU graduate and owner of Funky Duck Finds, said being a student entrepreneur is extremely gratifying.

“There's really something about seeing people get really excited to spend their hard-earned money on something that you made with your own hands,” Knapp said.

Funky Duck Finds sells upcycled and vintage finds, according to their Instagram. One of Knapp’s most popular items is earrings made with mid-century bottle caps.

Knapp referenced the Start Up Market hosted by the Center for Entrepreneurship in the CoLab, located in room 301 at Alden Library. The Start Up Market is a pop-up market where local and student entrepreneurs showcase and sell their creations. 

“I know they do the startup markets (at OU),” Knapp said. “They happen in Alden, and they put that on every year, and I think that's an awesome thing.”

Student creatives are often hesitant to begin, especially if they lack an avenue for customer interaction.

Cole Gilbert, a student studying fashion retail and the owner of Shop CGi, said face-to-face interactions are important for small business growth.

“I would say in-person events have definitely helped, especially having them in the Athens area. I think I've definitely got my name out for my following,” Gilbert said.

Student entrepreneurs face unique challenges including financial constraints and academic demands. 

Gilbert said forming a Limited Liability Company, or LLC, offers significant advantages for young entrepreneurs.

“Get your LLC,” Gilbert said. “That is the first thing that I will say, is get your LLC.”

Gilbert emphasizes that despite financial challenges that come with obtaining an LLC, it is worthwhile.

“I know it may be hard to get a loan, but I mean you just have to keep trying and you just have to start from somewhere,” he said.

Shop CGi opens Sept. 1, located at 728 E. State St. This student-owned business offers quality clothing, sneakers and streetwear with brands including Harley Davidson, Carhartt and Nascar.

Eva Jackson, an OU graduate and owner of Scatter Ridge Studios, said that the Small Business Development Center was a large help when fighting out the logistics of her startup.

“The Small Business Development Center was really helpful for me in bridging the information gap, all the things that I didn't know and I know.”

Jackson makes lots of jewelry centered around natural stone and emphasizing potential properties of different crystals. 

“I feel like I play a pretty big role in helping customers decide what stones or kinds of jewelry to buy, depending on what their needs are, their desires, their goals, who they're shopping for,” Jackson said. “I'm able to kind of pair things together to represent a certain intention, or like a mantra for them.”

Jackson is available through direct message for questions and custom orders.

As OU continues to foster a vibrant community of young entrepreneurs, student successes serve as a beacon of inspiration for others.

ciciroche

cr604022@ohio.edu