Taylor’s Table Talk: Resources help students overcome imposter syndrome

Suzanne Imes and Pauline Rose Clance were the first psychologists to describe the “imposter phenomenon” in the 1970s, according to the American Psychological Association (APA). According to Imes and Clance, imposter syndrome “​​occurs among high achievers who are unable to internalize and accept their success.” 

Imes and Clance originally researched women, but later research found people of any identity and environment can experience imposter syndrome, according to McLean Hospital of Mental Health Care.

Imposter syndrome can manifest differently depending on the situation, but according to a study in the National Library of Medicine (NLM), the phenomenon can be identified through six interrelated characteristics. These characteristics are the “imposter cycle” of over-preparation or procrastination, perfectionism, super-heroism, fear of failure, denial of competence and capability, and fear of success. According to the study, there is no formal definition or criteria in the Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).

As an Ohio University freshman, I checked many of the proverbial boxes associated with imposter syndrome. I was a perfectionist and an overachiever in high school, and I continued those behaviors in college as an Honors Tutorial College student. On the surface, my high school grade cards reflected my academic merit, but a sharp eye could see into my intrinsic fear of failure. When I got to college, I often thought, “Everyone is doing so much more than I am, and they’re better at it too.” Even now, entering my junior year, that thought lingers. 

Statistically, my experience with imposter syndrome is not unique. A review of 62 academic studies revealed that 56% to 82% of undergraduate, graduate, and medical students experience imposter syndrome, according to the National Cancer Institute. The statistic illuminates my first piece of advice for overcoming imposter syndrome as a college student: no one is alone when overcoming imposter thoughts and behaviors. At OU, I connected with classmates because they share similar thoughts and feelings.

Positive self-affirmations can go far in overcoming imposter syndrome. Showing kindness to myself, and reminding myself of my achievements (both academic and not), has helped me ground and re-center the beliefs I hold about myself. According to the APA, recognizing personal expertise, capability and accepting imperfections are methods of overcoming imposter syndrome.

Overcoming imposter syndrome is not a linear experience. Though I have gained more experience and maturity in college, I still face imposter syndrome. Throughout my undergraduate career, I have learned that overcoming imposter syndrome means consistently negating self-doubt, fear of failure and insecurity. One method of overcoming imposter feelings is utilizing positive self-talk, according to McLean Hospital.

It is important to acknowledge that academic validation is fleeting and unreliable, but it can influence imposter syndrome. According to Wilfrid Laurier University, academic validation ties “identity, happiness and self-esteem” to academic achievements. According to a study of medical students available in the NLM, low self-esteem is a strong predictor for imposter syndrome. As a college student, it is important to receive other sources of validation to combat imposter syndrome.

Counseling and Psychological Services at OU offers multiple resources and services to students, including online workshops, telehealth and in-person support programs, according to their page. The office also has a dedicated page for crisis and emergency information for domestic and international students in need. Accessible mental health care offers professional support to students overcoming imposter syndrome.

Taylor Orcutt is a junior studying journalism. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Taylor know by tweeting her @TaylorOrcutt.