Adonis Williams Jr. (22) S position on Ohio University's Football team covers the reveiver at Peden Stadium in Athens Ohio, Octo. 28, 2023

Football: Breaking down Ohio’s defensive backs

In an offseason that was so heavily marred by all of the players that Ohio lost, the secondary group remained mostly unchanged. 

The secondary was a key unit of a defense that finished top 10 in the entire country last year, and with multiple starters returning, the defensive backs will once again look to anchor the Bobcats’ defense. 

Who’s Gone

Justin Birchette and Torrie Cox headline the losses in the secondary this offseason. Both cornerbacks played well last season, with Birchette finishing the season with 29 total tackles and nine pass breakups, and Cox ending his season with 36 total tackles, one interception and one pass breakup. 

The two players combined for 4.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks on the year as well. Cox transferred to Illinois this offseason and Birchette left to play professionally. Their departures will leave holes for Ohio’s secondary this season. 

Safety Walter Reynolds was the other major loss for Ohio, as in 2023 the graduate student put up big numbers in his final season, finishing with 71 total tackles, two interceptions and two pass breakups as well. 

Who’s Back

The secondary was the position group that was arguably least affected by transfers and overall departures this offseason, returning a lot of key players such as Jeremiah Wood, Austin Brawley, Roman Parodie, Tank Pearson and Adonis Williams. 

Brawley only played nine games in 2023 but logged 39 tackles, two interceptions and two pass breakups. Adonis Williams had a similar season as a safety last year, putting up 39 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, one interception and two pass breakups. 

Parodie and Pearson were key guys on the boundary last season and they will step into even bigger roles this season. Parodie had 20 tackles and one pass breakup last year while Pearson finished with 16 tackles, two interceptions and one pass breakup. 

These returners headline a veteran group for Ohio and should be one of the best position groups on the field for Ohio in 2024.

Who’s New

Despite not having a lack of talent returning to the secondary, Ohio still went out and added talent and experience in the transfer portal. Former Air Force and Wisconsin cornerback Michael Mack headlines the group. Mack was productive in his time at Air Force before transferring to Wisconsin, but transfer ineligibility kept him from playing for the Badgers last season. 

Jaylen Johnson is another cornerback with Big Ten experience joining Ohio this season, having played at Ohio State and Memphis before making his way to Ohio this season. The former four-star recruit should help bring in some talent this season. 

Position Outlook

Overall, the defensive back room is loaded with talented and experienced players this season. They bring back a wealth of players like Roman Parodie, Tank Pearson and Austin Brawley, while still adding talent in the portal with guys like Michael Mack and Jaylen Johnson. 

This unit should continue to be a highlight of not only the defense this year for Ohio, but for the team as a whole as well.

@Charlie Fadel

cf111322@ohio.edu