Sports Watch: Football's best games to watch week one

After a long offseason filled with players changing teams, preseason games being played and Brandon Aiyuk still not being traded or extended, the NFL season is only one week away. Opening week consists of tons of marquee matchups such as playoff rematches and groundbreaking games in places the NFL has never played before. With so many games happening next week here are some of the best to pick from.

The Kansas City Chiefs kick off the NFL season Sept. 5, 8:20 p.m. on NBC against the Baltimore Ravens. Coming off of an overtime thriller against the San Francisco 49ers in the Super Bowl, the Chiefs will raise their fourth Super Bowl banner in their home opener. Quarterback Patrick Mahomes is seeking to lead his team to a third consecutive Lombardi trophy, something that has yet to be accomplished in the NFL. Standing in their way on the Baltimore Ravens led by last year's league MVP Lamar Jackson. Despite their regular season success, their season ended with a loss at home to the Chiefs in the AFC championship game. 

In an attempt to get over the hump, the Ravens brought in running back Derrick Henry to bolster what was already the top-ranked rushing attack last season at 156.4 yards per game. Henry will be facing the fourth-ranked run defense from last season. The former Tennessee Titan must try and rush through a Chiefs defensive line consisting of All-Pro players like Chris Jones. With two powerhouses facing off this early in the year the league is in store for a great opener.

From the establishment of the International Player Pathway to scheduling games in other countries like England and Germany, the NFL wants to make itself into a global brand. This year, the NFL will have its first-ever game in South America when the Green Bay Packers take on the Philadelphia Eagles on Sept. 6, 8:15 p.m. in Brazil streamed exclusively on Peacock

The approach both these teams took this offseason was to spend on big-name free agents to improve. Former All-Pro running back Saquon Barkley joined the Eagles this offseason after coming off of a 962-yard rushing season to try and take advantage of one of the best offensive lines in all of football despite the retirement of podcast star Jason Kelce

The Packers also brought in a former All-Pro runner Josh Jacobs who will try to replace the production lost by the departure of franchise icon Aaron Jones. Not only is this game going to be an offensive showcase for two teams looking to become top units in the NFC, but for many South American fans, this will be their first chance to see a game live which means the energy in the building is going to be electric.

Then, on Sept. 8, the Los Angeles Rams face the Detroit Lions at 8:20 p.m. on NBC for Sunday Night Football. Much like the Chiefs' opening game, this is also a playoff rematch from last season which saw the Lions beat the Rams in the NFC Wild Card round. The biggest storyline from this game is how Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford will play against his former team.

Stafford was drafted first overall by the Lions back in 2009 and played there until he was traded to the Rams in 2021. Not only will Stafford be looking for revenge against his former team, but so will current Lions quarterback Jared Goff. Goff is coming off an NFC championship appearance from last year in which he proved a lot of doubters wrong and earned a big four-year $212 million extension.

Both of these teams are looking to be the best in the NFC, so to see two former playoff teams with these types of connections go head to head on Sunday Night Football will be a spectacle. Both of these teams look to showcase their future talent and prove that they will be a threat for years to come.

There is no shortage of football next week with other notable games being Monday Night Football's New York Jets vs. 49ers but the most important thing of the day is to just appreciate that after a long wait football is finally back. 

Jasper Greuel is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note the views expressed in this column do not represent those of The Post. Want to talk to Jasper about his column? email him at jg453620@ohio.edu.