People gather on the corner outside the rally with Pro Roe signs

National, local news to recap the summer

Summer may be ending, but as Ohio University students prepare to return to campus and the change of seasons loom, the impact and the headlines of this summer’s news linger. Here are some of the biggest stories to come out of this summer.

President Biden drops out

On July 21, President Joe Biden dropped out of the 2024 presidential race and endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris as the Democratic nominee.  

Biden posted a statement to X, formerly Twitter, stating he intends to serve the rest of his term. 

“It has been the greatest honor of my life to serve as your President,” Biden wrote. “And while it has been my intention to seek reelection, I believe it is in the best interest of my party and the country for me to stand down and focus solely on fulfilling my duties as President for the remainder of my term.”

The decision to drop out came after pressure from Democratic Party members following the June 27 debate, according to the Associated Press

Donald Trump is shot at rally

On July 13, just days before he was set to accept the Republican nomination, Former President Donald Trump was shot at a rally in Pennsylvania in what was an assassination attempt, as reported by the AP.

Trump was shot in the ear and made a full recovery. One victim died, and two others were injured. The shooter, Thomas Matthew Crook, was killed by the Secret Service shortly after. 

Vice President picks 

On July 15, Former President Donald Trump announced Ohio Senator J.D. Vance as his running mate for the 2024 Presidential Election, according to the AP. They were nominated to the GOP ballot on the first day of the Republican National Convention. 

On Aug. 6, 2024, Vice President Kamala Harris chose Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz as her running mate for the 2024 Presidential Election, according to the AP.

Vance and Walz have agreed to debate Oct. 1, 2024. 

OU not liable in hazing death lawsuit

Collin Wiant died on Nov. 18, 2021, following a hazing incident at the unofficial annex house of Sigma Pi, according to a previous Post report.  

On Aug. 1, 2024, a judge ruled OU was not liable in the wrongful death lawsuit filed by Wiant’s parents. 

Court of Claims Judge Lisa Sadler wrote in the ruling that despite OU’s anti-hazing policy, there was nothing the university could do to monitor activity off-campus. 

OU raises the cost of attendance 

At the Board of Trustees meeting in July, the board approved an increase in student fees and tuition, according to a previous Post report

The approved 2024-25 budget has a 3% increase in undergraduate tuition, as well as non-resident fees. The budget also includes a 4.6% increase in room and board costs. 

The new tuition and fee rates will apply to students entering the OHIO Guarantee+ plan for the 2024-25 school year and will not affect students already enrolled in the plan. 

Athens Bread Company reopens

After a 5-month hiatus, the Athens Bread Company reopened on May 6, 2024, with adjusted hours and menu, according to a previous Post report

ABC will now be open from 3-8 p.m. Monday through Friday and be closed on Saturday and Sunday. 

In addition to the changes in hours, ABC also changed its menu. The shop will no longer sell sandwiches, a move meant to focus on the production of baked goods. The prices, however, have not changed. 

et029322@ohio.edu