Everything new at local Athens businesses

A new semester means Athens is welcoming back its Bobcats to a beautiful campus. While many of your favorite businesses are still here and ready to bring the same joy from last year, some exciting things are happening at the beginning of this semester.

Donkey Coffee is a favorite spot for many locals and students. Although this business is mostly known for its coffee, it brought back its lemonade just in time for the students’ return. In addition to the original lemon flavor, the shop also has flavors with black or green tea to spice up your summer drink.

If you like music, Donkey also brings musicians into the coffee shop every Thursday at 8 p.m. Though it is not new to Athens, the weekly open mic event offers patrons a unique listening experience.

Just down the road is another favorite spot: Court Street Coffee. While it does not have a summer special like lemonade, it does have weekly specials frequently posted on its Instagram: @court_st_coffee. Over the summer, Court Street Coffee reduced its hours to close at 5 p.m., but it will resume its school hours of 7 a.m.-6 p.m. on the weekdays. This will help students get some more work done during a busy school week. 

In the heart of Court Street lies Whit’s Frozen Custard. While there are Whits’ located around the country, some out-of-state students may not have a Whit’s where they come from and get to experience some of the best frozen custard around. In August, their “Whitser of the Month” is called sugar cookie madness. The rainbow sprinkles likely represent the excitement this restaurant has for its customers and colleagues coming back home. 

A unique organization to Athens is the Dairy Barn Arts Center. In 1877, the Dairy Barn started making dairy and supplying it to the Athens State Hospital. Eventually, the barn employed the patients of this hospital as forms of therapy and job training. Today, it works as an art exhibit. It is currently accepting art exhibition proposals. The Quilt National Tour is also available at the Dairy Barn, and anyone can book a tour to see the quilts.

Sporting events are encouraged as one of the most entertaining things to do at college. If you attend these events with friends, it is a way to engage with other students and increase school spirit. At OU, the football team begins playing on Aug. 31. The games are streamed online, but students can attend with friends and family members. Fans can find ticketing information online.

The College Book Store is counting down the days before the first football game by bringing back its countdown sale. The bookstore sells football and Marching 110 shirts for $7.65 until the first home game on Sept. 7. Check it out before the game so that you can wear it to support your school at its first football game. 

Whether you are a sports fan or a coffee fan, there are plenty of new things going on in Athens for you to enjoy as you come back or join the Bobcat family for your first semester. 

leanneabel00

la081422@ohio.edu