Vonnie Watkins (17) DE and Bralen Henderson (81) DT on Ohio Univeristy's football team celebrate after a big stop in Peden Stadium in Athens, Ohio on Sept. 16, 2023.

Football: Get to know Ohio's defensive line

With the season opener now just weeks away, Ohio is coming close to making its final decisions regarding its roster. The 2024-25 roster looks much different than last year, and one of the most-changed position groups is the defensive line.

With returners like Bradley Weaver and Bralen Henderson now complemented by several new additions, it will be a new look with hints of familiarity for Ohio defensive coordinator John Hauser and defensive line coach Kurt Mattix.

Who’s Gone

The entire roster was hit hard by departures this offseason, and the defensive line was no different. The veteran unit lost a lot of players who produced in bunches for Ohio. Defensive tackle Rayyan Buell transferred to Colorado after his season where he logged 30 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks.

Another loss at defensive tackle was Rodney Matthews who left for the NFL, signing with the Seattle Seahawks after going undrafted. In Matthews’ 2023 season, he recorded 20 tackles and 4.5 tackles for loss. 

The Bobcats also lost two key defensive ends in Vonnie Watkins and Shane Bonner. Watkins went for 33 tackles, eight tackles for loss and five sacks while Bonner had 30 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. 

Who’s Back

One of the biggest retentions for Ohio was defensive end Bradley Weaver. Weaver is coming off a stellar season where he led the team in both tackles for loss with 13 and sacks with 6. 

Bralen Henderson got some playing time rotating in on the line last year as he finished with 21 tackles, two tackles for loss and a sack. He will be returning this year as well. 

Who’s New

Cincinnati transfer CJ Doggette is a big name joining Ohio this season. The defensive tackle hails from Pickerington, Ohio, and committed to Cincinnati out of high school as a three-star recruit. After seeing limited playing time as a freshman he transferred to Ohio, and should make a big impact for the Bobcats. 

Defensive end Kadin Schmitz was on the roster last season but is coming into the 2024-25 season with the excitement of the coaching staff behind him. The sophomore played in 11 games last season and logged one sack. 

Position Outlook

This group saw some massive changes this offseason, and as a result, they are not as experienced as years previous, with Weaver being the only player to see over a year of significant playing time.

However, with the inexperience comes some major potential with players like Doggette, Schmitz and Henderson forming a young and talented defensive line trio. 

With new defensive line coach Kurt Mattix, expect this group to be well-coached, but reaching the heights of last season could come with some growing pains. 

@CharlieFadel

cf111322@ohio.edu