6 ways to save on dorm decorating

As classes begin, incoming freshmen prepare for campus life while upperclassmen plan for another year of college. The start of a new school year brings many exciting possibilities, but also a lot of stress and financial strain. From textbooks and technology to tuition bills, the start of the fall semester is expensive.

For students living in dorms or housing near campus, there are added expenses of decorations, furniture and other items to make the space feel like home. Decorating a college dorm or apartment does not have to break the bank. Here are a few ways to make decorating your space budget-friendly. 

Five Below

Five Below is the first stop shop when it comes to decorating college housing on a budget. Whether it is rugs, pillows, fun string lights or perfect wall decor, Five Below has a large variety of options to fit many room themes. There is something for every student and every room, as most items are $5.55 and below. However, even the more expensive options, like this $20 twin-sized comforter, are great deals for dorm must-haves. 

Dollar Tree

Dollar Tree is a great place to go to for storage and cleaning needs. Everyone will need cleaning products for their space, and Dollar Tree has go-to cleaning products such as Clorox disinfecting wipes for $1.25. Some storage containers or bins cost up to $5, but there are many options for $1.25 which allows students to maximize their small spaces efficiently.

Target

Target tends to be pricier than other stores, but there are some great college finds within its shelves. With throw blankets for $10 to twin XL sheets for $9.50, Target proves it should not be overlooked when it comes to sticking to a budget.

Target gets bonus points for being a spot to shop for matching themes conveniently and affordably. In addition, there are many options for plastic, reusable dishes starting as low as $0.50 apiece. Target also offers 20% off one purchase with a student ID until Sept. 28.

Walmart

Similar to Target, Walmart has a lot of great items for sale. There is a location in Athens at 929 E State St., which is perfect for picking up any forgotten items. Some notable items from Walmart are this shower caddy for $2.99, storage bins for $5.98 and a full-length mirror for $7.

Take advantage of student IDs 

All students receive a student ID when they arrive at college. With a student ID comes classes, meal plans, dorm halls and a college education, all of which are great. However, there are a lot of other ways to put a student ID to use.

Many stores, businesses and restaurants offer student discounts with verification of a student ID. Sites like UNiDAYS offer a network of student discounts and exclusive deals with student email verification. When shopping for a dorm, or anything for that matter, checking if a store offers a student discount is an easy way to save money. 

Reuse Items 

For returning students, the easiest way to save money this back-to-school season is to reuse items from previous school years. As long as everything is in good condition, using the same comforter, pillows and some decorations can save a lot of money and make transitioning into this year’s college housing a lot easier.

et029322@ohio.edu