Blabby Abby: Business casual clothes remain undefined for women

In upcoming years, millennials and Generation Z will become the majority of the modern workforce. With that, comes an almost reinvented workplace culture – a workplace that appears more laxer than in previous generations. Specifically, a space that presents a gray area in the “new” definition of “business casual” apparel. 

The official Oxford English Dictionary definition of business casual is as follows: “relating to or denoting a style of clothing that is less formal than traditional business wear, but is still intended to give a professional and businesslike impression.” The earliest use of the phrase goes back to the 1960s and hasn’t been updated for a more specific or modern approach. 

The Street goes on to list articles of clothing specific to business casual, offering a more straightforward question on what exactly a person should wear. The Street wrote, “Business casual is typically defined as no jeans, no shorts, no short dresses or skirts for women, optional ties for men, and a rotation of button-downs or blouses.”

After reviewing this definition, it leaves extremely minimal options depending on gender presentation, specifically for females and non-male presenting individuals.

In a typical five-day-a-week, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. work environment where business casual is expected of someone, it can become increasingly difficult to sport various clothes as time progresses. While having a diverse style throughout the week may not hold importance to many, some value their presentation in the workplace above other things. Making impressions, looking the part and appearing to fit in with peers can make a difference in how employers view staff. 

The modern definition of business casual is vague, outdated and restrictive to namely women because of the time of the phrase’s origin when it was only created with men in mind. Not only in terms of clothing but also grooming and cosmetically, women are typically pressured to feel more attractive and approachable in the workplace. Failing to comply can unfortunately result in losing respect from coworkers, according to the Seattle Times

In addition, newer generations are more inclined to feel comfortable in the workplace, both in their physical clothing and the environment. With already facing negative connotations from older generations at work, the idea that younger generations are not dedicated or passionate about contributing to a job can make work feel even more awkward. 

So what are people supposed to wear when the theme is business casual? While a pantsuit is the most obvious and quite possibly one of the only options when it comes to the theme, it is still a good option. When it comes to branching out, it becomes difficult and eventually, expensive. 

The idea of having to sift through Google search for a respected brand of business casual clothing, selecting the items of clothing, and then having to drop an unfathomable amount of money just to appear presentable at work further adds to the problem of the outdated definition. More than one pantsuit would make a nice dent in anyone’s bank account. 

The modern working world deserves a new, better and more specific definition of a dress code for going to work. As the dynamics will inevitably shift as younger generations continue to start entry-level positions, the stigma around business casual needs to end and a new way of dressing in a semi-professional environment should be a priority. 

Abby Jenkins is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Abby know by tweeting her @abbyjenks18 or emailing her at aj205621@ohio.edu.