Student-athletes prepare for upcoming seasons, classes

To most students, summer is a time for relaxation and resetting. However, to some Bobcats’ surprise, Ohio University fall athletes have been settled into their dorms since June, ready to face their busy class schedules and the upcoming season. 

According to the NCAA, a follow up study on the mental health issues found in student-athletes said, “rates of mental exhaustion, anxiety and depression have seen little change since fall 2020 and remain 1.5 to two times higher than identified before the COVID-19 pandemic.” These statistics consisted of responses from over 9,800 student-athletes, including both men and women. 

Most Bobcats are involved in student organizations, clubs and jobs on top of their class schedules, thus dealing with more stress and anxiety. However, when it comes to student athletes’ schedules, there can be additional levels of pressure and specific criteria which need to be met. 

Maverick Ohle, a freshman studying exercise physiology, is a new member of the football team and said his practice times have already begun to affect classes and other required events. 

“Our practice block is from 2-6 p.m.,” Ohle said. “That includes our meetings, our workouts and on the field. On orientation day, we had to work around all that.” 

Ohle said when the school year officially starts, he has permission to leave classes early in order to make practices during the week. 

In addition to attending classes, all Division 1 student-athletes must meet a specific GPA in order to remain eligible as a team member. The NCAA requirements state, “student-athletes must achieve 90% of the institution’s minimum overall grade-point average necessary to graduate by the beginning of year two, 95% of the minimum GPA by year three and 100% by year four.” 

These requirements are strict, therefore enjoying class and practice time is a vital aspect for student athletes to succeed and remain motivated throughout the school year. 

Anna Khrachyska, a junior studying hotel restaurant and tourism, is a member of the volleyball team and said although meeting deadlines can be stressful, juggling both •volleyball and school has a positive influence on her daily life. 

“I really like physical activity, it keeps me in shape,” said Khrachycka. “Plus, I know to be an athlete I am supposed to be a student, so it has pushed me to be better.” 

Khrachyska said her professors have played a vital role in her academic success, and she recommends all student-athletes should communicate with faculty in order to remain motivated and relaxed throughout the school year. 

During the summer, OU’s quiet and empty campus may be daunting. However, it is a perfect time for athletes to explore and bond with teammates. Ohle said living on an empty campus was different, especially as a new student. 

“I haven’t really seen it in full, the campus,” said Ohle. “I haven’t really gotten to school yet, but it is different … it is so empty. It just kind of feels like it is you and your team here … I’m excited to see what it is like in a real school year.” 

Ohle said being down the hall from teammates makes campus feel less lonely and he enjoys spending time with them after practice.

Amid the chaos of practices, classes and moving away from family, it is important for student-athletes to have a strong support system. Kharchynska said at first she was afraid to step out of her comfort zone and move to a different country, but she is encouraged everyday to keep going. 

“It was really a huge help from my teammates and my friends,” said Khrachyska. “Try to find support in your friends and your family … (and) have high communication with your coaches because they care for you.” 

gn875322@ohio.edu 

gina_napoli_