The City of Ostroh flies the U.S. flag outside of its city building to celebrate the U.S. Independence Day. Photo provided by Liudmyla Kozak, Head of the External Relations Department for the City of Ostroh.

Athens to celebrate Ukrainian Independence Day

After receiving an Independence Day gift from its sister city, Ostroh, Ukraine, the City of Athens is looking to reciprocate the gesture for Ukraine’s Independence Day on Aug. 24. 

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson and Ostroh Mayor Yurii Yahodka began the city's partnership in June 2023 by signing a memorandum, according to a previous Post report. More than a year later, Patterson has visited the country and established strong relationships between the cities’ respective universities. 

The most recent exchange comes from Ostroh’s city council and Mayor Yahodka, who sent Patterson a letter celebrating the United States’ Independence Day and raising the American flag alongside Ukraine’s at Ostroh’s city hall.

In the letter obtained by The Post, Yahodka calls Patterson a “dear friend” and says the day symbolizes the triumph of democracy, freedom and equality.

“Your country has always been, and remains, a beacon of hope and inspiration for many nations around the world, including Ukraine,” Yahodka wrote. “We greatly value our sister city relationship and the fruitful cooperation between our cities.”

He adds his hope that new generations will use the spirit of unity, established by America’s founder, to inspire great achievements.

“(The letter) spoke volumes to the partnership between Ostroh and the city of Athens,” Patterson said. “I was quite moved … They are experiencing such a challenge to preserve their democracy and their independence, so it was great.”

According to Patterson, the decision to draft a resolution declaring Aug. 24 as Ukrainian Independence Day and raising the Ukrainian flag was Athens' way of showing solidarity and gratitude for its partnership with Ostroh.

“There's a lot of similarities between Ostroh and the Rivne Oblast and Appalachian Ohio,” Patterson said. “It's hard to point to any one thing because it is so multifaceted, from music to culture to foods to sustainability to education to governments. There's a lot that we can learn from each other, as well as ways in which we can support each other.”

He adds that the resolution will remain a surprise for Ostroh officials until their Independence Day later this week and hopes Yahodka will be able to visit Athens soon.

“We're just recognizing and enjoying the differences in cultures, but also the similarity in who we are as human beings,” Patterson said. “It's showing the level of interest and respect for each other's cultures and how we can enrich each other based upon who we are.”

Recognition and celebrations are yet another way in which Patterson and Yahodka use their partnership to foster international relationships.

“This friendship is a vivid example of how communities from different parts of the world can unite for a common good, exchange experiences and provide mutual support,” Yahodka wrote. “On this festive day, we wish all citizens of your city and all Americans peace, prosperity and continued success.”

Patterson adds that their partnership is an enduring relationship.

“This isn't a relationship just based upon the challenges that Ukraine is seeing right now as they're repelling an unjust invasion of a sovereign nation,” Patterson said. “It's looking into the future with the expectation that Ukraine is going to succeed in maintaining their sovereignty and recognition as an independent nation. It'll be great when that day comes… and I suspect that there are a lot of people, certainly here in Athens, at Ohio University that will lean in to help.”

@Oliviaggilliand

@og953622@ohio.edu