The Kennedy Museum Of Art at the Ridges, Sept. 2, 2023

Community responds to The Ridges care after roof collapse

The roof of the unoccupied Building #7 of The Ridges collapsed in 2019 and has since been part of a redevelopment plan.

The incident is believed to have been caused by deterioration worsened by weather changes and water damage, Jonathan Cozad, interim associate vice president of design and construction, said.

In response to the roof collapse, Ohio University Facilities Management and Safety fenced off the area.

An Instagram account that documents life in Athens, @athens_lens, posted a picture of the roof collapse on April 21.

Athens residents commented on their disappointment with the neglect of the building.

In November 2023, a user on Reddit, an anonymous social discussion website, posted a picture revealing a hole in the roof of the Ridges.

Users commented on their frustrations and disappointments about the maintenance of the building.

The Ridges opened in the early 1800s as the Athens Lunatic Asylum, and the state transferred the vacant property to OU in 1993, according to an OU news release.

According to The Ridges framework plan created in 2015, Building #7 was a dining hall in 1880 but has since transitioned to a laboratory space with offices. 

The building received new climate controls, flooring and roof for a geological research laboratory space in 1992.

While the University doesn’t have plans to replace the roof or repair the structure, Building #7 is part of The Ridges redevelopment plan and is expected to transition to the new community authority.

According to a previous The Post report, the NCA is a statutory body composed of community, city and developer representatives who invest in improvements within the community district.

NCA will identify the best use of The Ridges and make necessary renovations and developments.

“The University looks forward to continuing its collective work to develop a New Community Authority,” Cozad wrote in an email.

Since 2015, OU has invested more than $28 million into The Ridges, including the transformation of the eastern wing of the Kirkbride Building into a space that holds the Ohio University Police Department and University Communications and Marketing.

Ohio University partnered with the Buckeye Hills Regional Council and Community Building Partners to create The Ridges development strategy with the goal of rehabilitation and preservation of the property.

“The Ridges Redevelopment Plan will provide the framework to ensure continued investment in the facilities,” University Spokesperson Samantha Pelham wrote in an email.

The Ridges development strategy hopes to implement The Ridges framework plan and create a space that will benefit the community.

“The University is committed to uplifting and maintaining The Ridges,” Pelham wrote in an email.

@maggie.amacher

ma657122@ohio.edu