A supporter of Joe Biden celebrates as she drives past the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus, Ohio, after the Democratic nominee, Joe Biden, was declared the winner in the 2020 Presidential Election on Saturday, September 7, 2020.

Biden drops out of the presidential race

President Joe Biden dropped out of the 2024 presidential race Sunday, after the democratic party doubted his abilities, according to the Associated Press.

Biden posted a letter on X, formerly Twitter, announcing the end of his reelection bid. 

“While it has been my intention to seek reelection, I believe it is in the best interest of my party and the country for me to stand down and to focus solely on fulfilling my duties as President for the remainder of my term,” Biden’s post read.

Biden’s decision follows escalating pressure from the Democratic party, which has doubted his ability to be president after the June 27 debate against Donald Trump, according to the AP.

Following his announcement, Biden endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris on X.

“Today I want to offer my full support and endorsement for Kamala to be the nominee of our party this year,” Biden posted. “Democrats — it’s time to come together and beat Trump.”

In response to Biden dropping out, Trump posted on Truth Social, “We will suffer greatly because of his presidency, but we will remedy the damage he has done very quickly.”

The AP said Biden plans to serve the rest of his time in office, which ends at noon on Jan. 20, 2025.

@_suziepiper

sp249021@ohio.edu