Fourth of July pride booms in Athens

The Fourth of July was nothing short of exciting in Athens as the community recognized the nation’s independence through city events and firework shows. Learn about how local business owners and students celebrated the holiday.

In honor of America’s birthday, family and friends come together to celebrate. Every community has traditions, however, when it comes to Fourth of July festivities, Athens knows how to throw an exciting party. 

Amidst the city’s larger events, local businesses find ways to make the holiday special for the community. Krista Brewer, owner of Happy Snacking Athens, has been working hard to create a special July Fourth menu for those looking to cater food. 

The menu consists of traditional barbecue foods, including pulled pork, potato salads and vegan mac and cheese. Brewer said there are several positives to her specialty menu and locals should look to Happy Snacking Athens instead of chain stores. 

“I’ve got a really great menu this year and my prices are set pretty reasonably,” said Brewer. “It is also really nice to support your local businesses and truly I think the Fourth of July is the perfect time to do that.” 

Brewer said her other weekly menus include gluten-free and vegetarian options. She specializes in charcuterie boxes for larger parties. 

Along with delicious food, the Fourth recognizes American history and the country’s independence. Andrew Chiki, Athens deputy service safety director, said while the holiday can be exciting, it is important to remember its true message.

“While it is fun to be decked out in Red, White and Blue, grill out and play patriotic songs, I think it is far more important to remember that democracy historically is the exception, not the rule,” said Chiki in an email.

On top of cooking out with his family and friends, Chiki said he remembers to show gratitude towards his freedoms, as it is vital to enjoying the holiday. 

“The Fourth of July is a reminder that our system of government and the idea of freedom, however you define it, is fragile and should not be taken for granted,” said Chiki.

Although most American families participate in traditional July Fourth activities, some find unique ways of commemorating the holiday. 

Vivienne Jacobson, a sophomore studying political science pre-law, said she attends the Doo Dah Parade in Columbus each year with her family. 

“It is a political parade (and) a lot more progressive and left-leaning, but it is also more light-hearted and fun and it is tailored for all ages,” said Jacobson.

According to CBUS Today, the “wacky” Doo Dah Parade is known for its “diversity and passion for art” where everyone is welcome to share their “humorous” opinions on “political, social and civic” issues. Jacobson said her family started attending post-COVID-19 and it has been a tradition ever since. 

“I really like it (and) last year they had a Betty White float,” said Jacobson. “... It was just a bunch of older women wearing wigs and it was really funny.” 

Columbus is not the only city that understands what a thrilling Fourth of July celebration looks like. According to the Athens official website, the fireworks show will be held on July 3rd at 10 p.m. on East State Street and there will be a car show at the Market on State starting at 5 p.m. Locals are also welcome to relax at the Athens City Pool for free after 4 p.m. on July Fourth. 

While the festivities may be fun, or for some wacky, Brewer said people should separate from political views and celebrate community. 

“It is easy to get swept up into your ideologies and politics (and) I think the fourth is a great time to reflect on the simplistic origins of our country,” said Brewer. 

gn875322@ohio.edu 

gina_napoli_