Vice President Joe Biden speaks to locals of Athens and students of Ohio University at the Athens Community Center on Sept. 8. (Jason Chow | File Photo)

Biden’s first solo news conference attempts to reassure voters

President Joe Biden spoke at his first solo news conference regarding the upcoming November election, accordingto the Associated Press. 

Taking questions from the White House press corps, President Biden tried to defend his performance in his last debate against candidate Donald Trump, according to the Associated Press.

Although the event aimed to show Biden still has the commanding presence the public expects from its commander-in-chief, he made a few notable mistakes, according to the AP. 

Biden mistakenly referred to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy as“President Putin” when referencing a previous event, according to the AP. 

When asked about Kamala Harris by a reporter, he referred to her as “Vice President Trump,” according to the AP.

Despite these mistakes, Biden gave detailed information about his efforts to preserve NATO and other plans for his second term.

According to the AP, many Democratic lawmakers have asked him to step aside in the race, something Biden assured he would not do.

Biden talked about his actions being more important than words, according to the AP. He shared statistics regarding his efforts to ease inflation from its peak in 2022.

Answering questions in more detail than the June debate, the President’s presentation has people focused more on his mistakes during the current race, according to the AP. 

@emthegemmy 

es542222@ohio.edu