Riders climb up Coal Run Road during the Athens Gravel Challenge in Chauncey, July 20, 2024.

Athens Gravel Challenge returns to Bailey’s Trail System

Off the main roads of Athens County lie a web of rugged, steep and chunky gravel roads and mountain bike trails. This diversity of rideable terrain draws in cyclists from all around Ohio and Appalachia.

Saturday, Team Athens Cycling hosted the annual Athens Gravel Challenge, or AGC, part of the Ohio Gravel Race Series. Charlie Morgan, the race director for Team Athens, said AGC used to be very different before getting added to the series.

“We used to do a road race out at Lake Hope,” he said. “The cycling world has changed a lot from road races to more gravel races. So we've been doing this. I think this is about our fifth or sixth time.”

In 2022, with the completion of the Bailey’s Trail System in Wayne National Forest, AGC moved to focus around the gravel roads and trails of that region.

Beginning at the Chauncey-Dover Trailhead, the race consisted of two routes, a 24 mile and a 54 mile. Each route offered four categories for the over 160 participants to choose from; men’s open, men’s masters (over 45), women’s open and women’s masters. 148 people competed in the men’s categories, while 14 competed in the women’s.

AthensGravelChallenge_7_21_24_Herx_1.jpg
The starting banner of the Athens Gravel Challenge at the Chauncey-Dover Trailhead in Chauncey, July 20, 2024.

Both routes started at the Chauncey Trailhead, then went to Coal Run Road, a chunky gravel road with an average 6.2% elevation grade. Many riders walk their bikes up the road due to the instability and steepness. Katie Gerspacher, a participant from Dayton, finished first in the 24 mile women’s open. She said she was most nervous about that initial climb.

“I'm a little concerned about the big hill at the start,” Gerspacher said. “I hear there's a lot of walking. Otherwise, I haven’t heard a lot about the rest of the course. Kind of a surprise honestly.”

From Coal Run, riders went to the Holler Collar Trail, the first section of singletrack riding for the 54 milers and the only one for the 24 milers. Riders then followed Utah Ridge Road to Big Bailey Run Road, then up Carr Bailey Road. At the intersection with Route 685, the 24 mile riders went left toward Butchel, while the 54 group went right toward Amesville. 

Rodney Haun, a participant from Springboro, Ohio, placed twelfth in the 24 mile men’s masters. He said he was excited to explore the natural beauty of Athens on display.

“I've never been to this area before,” he said. “So basically, I'd like to ride just to see the scenery. That's kind of what I'm looking for.”

At Buchtel, the 24 mile group came back down to West Bailey Road, which led them back to Chauncey. Once hitting Amesville, the 54 mile route turned West back toward Chauncey to hit the Bailey’s. Heading up West Bailey Road, the route turned onto the Wild Turkey Trail, then followed Tipple Top, Coal Train and Gob Pile trails until eventually getting back to the trailhead.

After the race, riders had the opportunity to enjoy food, drinks and music from a local live band, Basket Case. Morgan said easing the participants after the challenge would create a more fun event.

“At the end of the ride we have pizza and beer from Jackie O's,” he said. “We also thought it would be fun to have a live band after the race … so a more relaxed atmosphere.”

As AGC grows more and more popular, Team Athens Cycling only has plans on improving, both for the casual riders and the devoted racers.

“I have a friend that did this last year,” Gerspacher said. “I really don't do a whole lot of races. This is more of just a fun event for me. I happened to be off work so I borrowed a friend's bike and came on out.”

@ethanherx

eh481422@ohio.edu