Sassy Cassie: Dating shows are guilty pleasures

People watch dating shows for multiple reasons. I started watching “Love Island” because I kept seeing TikTok videos about the show and became curious enough to start watching it. Although I enjoy watching these shows, I cannot help but think about their implications and the issues going on behind the scenes.

Reality dating shows were created in 1965 with the show “The Dating Game,” and it is an industry that has boomed ever since. Now there are many reality dating shows such as “The Bachelor,” “The Bachelorette,” “Love Island” and “Love Is Blind.” 

Although every dating show advertises the prospect of finding love, each show is different. For example, “Love Island” and “Love Is Blind” have two different goals. The goal of “Love Is Blind” is for people to date one another before ever meeting face to face. The purpose of “Love Island” is to remain in a committed partnership while new people enter the Villa trying to break up couples. I personally am obsessed with both the USA and UK versions of “Love Island. The show has had so much success in the UK that it has been replicated in many different countries. 

To understand if dating shows are good or bad, one must understand why people watch them. Netflix's hit series “Love is Blind” has reached an audience of 30 million, while “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette” received an average of 3.6 and 2.8 million viewers.

Part of the appeal of dating shows are the tropes they portray like love at first sight or soulmates.  The idea that someone can find a connection based off of one look is beautiful. Although believing in these tropes isn’t a bad thing, the way they are portrayed in the shows is the problem. It is important to note that these shows are not real life; they take place over a few weeks, which is not realistic for a healthy relationship. Contestants are in high-stress environments that do not encourage good decision-making. Producers of shows often coordinate what they think viewers will like, they edit out parts and ask leading questions to get the response they want. Everything you see is there because they want you to see it. 

In a Vice interview, a reality show producer confirms that shows are “100% manipulated.” The producer reveals that they cast people into archetypes like heroes and villains. They also confirm that producers will deliberately keep contestants around because they make for good television. Producers will also influence the choices of contestants to keep drama going. The shows are made so you like some people and hate others. 

Cast members in the shows also suffer from being on the show, because contestants don’t know what the edited version looks like. The edited versions can change the viewer's opinion of the person and portray a false narrative of contestants. Although a lot of dating shows label themselves as “experiments” they are not actually experiments, and do not have to follow ethical and legal regulations. Contestants on “Love Is Blind” sign a contract acknowledging the distress the show can cause; however, the show does not provide help for contestants afterwards. 

I compare watching a reality dating show or any reality show to watching a sports game. You are rooting for someone to win and commenting on strategies for people to win, and as you watch, experience an emotional rollercoaster, much like watching almost any sports game. 

Although I will still sit down and watch my daily dose of “Love Island” it is important to note the dangers of reality TV. 

Cassie is a junior studying communications at Ohio University. Please note the views expressed in this column do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Cassie? Email her at cb086021@ohio.edu.