“Bad Boys: Ride or Die” reignites comedy-action film flame

Ever since the billion-dollarfranchise started in 1995, “Bad Boys” has become a global household name. Fans of the previous three installments were left in anticipation for the third sequel, “Bad Boys: Ride or Die” (2024). Fortunately, it did not disappoint.

With a 64% critics’ score and 97% audience score from Rotten Tomatoes, “Bad Boys: Ride or Die” is a comedic explosion of action and (of course) violence. Martin Lawrence and Will Smith show comedic genius and chemistry that gives their long-time fans the atmosphere that has garnered an audience.

The trailer introduces the movie's central conflict: the assassination of former Captain Howard (Joe Pantoliano), who passed away in the series’ third film. The film's plot is extremely well executed and does not seem far-fetched. It makes sense for a highly respected captain, who can no longer defend himself, to be framed for the corruption of his police department.

Bad Boys Mike Lowrey (Smith) and Marcus Burnett (Lawrence) visit Lowrey’s son, Armando Aretas (Jacob Scipio), in prison to gain information on who ordered the murder of Captain Howard. Viewers then learn that the recent developments of Captain Howard’s “corruption” were not a plot by the cartels the Miami PD is battling against, but a snake from the inside.

This sets a series of revelations and action sequences in motion, including the spotlight of Reggie (Dennis McDonald), a constant figure of stoic comedic relief, who gives one of the best action scenes in the franchise thus far.

Mike and Armando are seen trying to build their complicated relationship through the “parent-child forced proximity” trope, which uses the characters’ circumstantial dependency to force them to confront their lingering tensions.

More characters add complexity to the movie’s conflict, such as Captain Howard’s daughter, U.S. Marshall Judy Howard, and her daughter Callie. Other characters include Mike’s newlywed wife Christine Lowrey and Miami attorney Lockwood, who is running for mayor.

The movie uses comedy, subtle pop-culture references, and refreshing cameos that do not take away from the plot. Each add to the movie and the audience's experience, instead of leaving the viewer cringing.

Some commented that the movie starts to feel repetitive and the writing lacks at times, which is not entirely illogical. While this movie shows we need true experts who understand the art of comedy in the writing room, the writing for the antagonist needed a tad bit more “razzle dazzle.”

The antagonist’s vendetta against law enforcement needed to be explored more. In previous movies, more scenes gave us a glimpse of the mentality of the bad guys.

Even in the first and second movies, while there weren’t antagonists whose lives were center stage in the movie, there were scenes that gave depth to the impact of their background or actions.

In the fourth film, the aggression of the antagonist feels as if it came out of thin air. However, this thin plot line feels supplemented by the realism brought forward by the actors. This creates the familiar personal ambiance that has become a trademark of the franchise.

Although there is still room for improvement, it was not a bad movie; it is a good movie that adds to a fan-favorite franchise.

The understanding of the franchise’s essence that attracted its core audience demonstrates that actors and characters can age while achieving decades-long success and longevity.

“Bad Boys: Ride or Die” is a must-watch film of 2024.

Rating: 3.5/5

siimply_nyny

ng972522@ohio.edu