Rooks Reflects: The complexities of friendships while studying abroad

I haven’t seen my best friend in nearly three months. Until now, we hadn’t gone more than two weeks without seeing each other since the day we met during Welcome Weekend of our freshman year. I left our shared dorm halfway through the spring semester to study abroad in Leipzig, Germany, where I will live until the end of July. That distance has been remarkably uncomfortable and difficult, but it has allowed room for growth and new opportunities. 

One of the benefits is strengthening my bond with friends at home. The phrase “distance makes the heart grow fonder” is a cliché for a reason, as I find myself with the chance to miss my friends and long for them in a way I never have before. I am still able to maintain contact with my friends at home, and hearing from them brightens my day and gives me a glimpse into the world that is waiting for me when I return. While I have been careful not to wish away my time abroad, I am also counting down the days until I can move into my new house with my old friends and embark on our junior year together. 

As much as I miss the comfort of my college friends, I feel incredibly grateful for the chance to expand my friendship circle from within Athens to exist on a global scale. My group of friends in Leipzig consists of students from Italy, Poland, England, Ireland and Switzerland, and I have also made acquaintances with people of other nationalities.

One of the greatest joys I’ve experienced while studying abroad is the chance to discover a new city with people who are doing the exact same thing. My friends and I are constantly seeking out new coffee shops, bars, museums and events within the city, and we’re growing into locals as a collective whole.   

An article from ISEP Study Abroad lists one of the best aspects of these friendships as the ability to break stereotypes together. My friends and I have discussed our preconceived notions about our different countries of origin countless times, and it’s been fascinating to hear about the realities of life in these places, as well as set the record straight from my own experience as an American. 

No matter where I make new friends, I’ve always found myself changed and influenced by the different personalities I’ve surrounded myself with. However, something unique about making friends while studying abroad is the addition of different global perspectives on top of personality differences. 

An article from the New York Times cites a European clinical psychologist's observations of these cultural differences, including the high levels of anxiety and pressure in American students compared to their European counterparts. While that is not necessarily the case with all of my new friends, I have noticed these or other differences that have allowed me to broaden my perspective and learn more about members of my age group around the world. 

As incredible as the friendships I’ve made here are, they are accompanied by a dark cloud — an impending end to our time together that is speedily approaching. Come the end of the summer, I’ll be an ocean away from my friends, not just a brief tram or bike ride away. Although we sometimes find ourselves discouraged by this fact, more often than not we use this deadline as a motivator to make the most of our time together. 

We keep each other accountable and remind each other that we are all on a once-in-a-lifetime journey together. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that now I will have places to stay if I ever return to Europe. 

According to Study Abroad and Beyond, one of the main reasons students choose not to study abroad is the fear of missing out on their life at home. Whether students anticipate missing out on specific events or, in my case, simply fear the amount of time spent away from loved ones, this apprehension is persistent and valid. However, my experience with my friends here is one I wouldn’t trade for anything, including a few months away from the people I know are waiting for me when I come home. 

Sophia Rooksberry is an incoming junior studying journalism. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Sophia know by tweeting her @sophiarooks_