Clara’s Commentary: Carrie Bradshaw should consider seeing a therapist

Since “Sex and the City” arrived on Netflix April 1, fans quickly gathered on social media to share their opinions on the infamous four characters: Samantha, Charlotte, Miranda and Carrie. The show is told from the perspective of Carrie Bradshaw, a columnist, cigarette lover, fabulous hair-haver, shoe connoisseur and, at times, a not-great human being. 

Although Bradshaw is remarkable in many ways, her relationships with her friends, partners and self are far from it. The talented New York City writer could look closely at her habits and book a therapy appointment. 

Being a human being simply existing is challenging in itself and part of what makes the show so incredible is that each character is flawed. If Carrie Bradshaw was not flawed, the show itself would not exist. However, as I rewatch the acclaimed show for admittedly the third time, I can’t help but wonder how Carrie’s life would look with a bit of self improvement. 

The most notable challenge Carrie faces is her relationship with the allusive Mr. Big, who is the king of toxic situationships. Their relationship is just that, toxic. Throughout the show, Carrie constantly gets hung up on Big, often interrupting her friend's conversations to share anxieties about him or calling at late hours of the night to go over and over how terrible he made her feel, even – spoiler alert – cheating on her boyfriend with him. While her friends make numerous attempts to stop her from continuously getting involved with him, she doesn’t listen. Her patterns with Mr. Big and her other relationships link to issues with commitment; she fights to feel wanted and then runs when she is. We accept the love we think we deserve, and for Carrie Bradshaw, Mr. Big is it. 

Although therapy doesn’t work for everyone, it’s a fantastic tool for exploring mental health concerns. Carrie values her image heavily and seeks validation from those who are emotionally unavailable, such as Big. Carrie presents herself as this “have it all” girl, but I believe she struggles deeply with insecurity. 

Carrie does have a run-in with therapy but pledges never to go again after claiming her friends are all she needs. Had therapy gone on, Carrie Bradshaw could have addressed more underlying issues. With the right therapist and proper attitude towards self-reflection and discovery, she could address her anxious attachment patterns with partners and even learn to value her self-worth. 

If Carrie had the right tools to manage her anxiety, stress and commitment issues, maybe she would have broken up with Big the first time he showed her he didn’t honestly care about her. Perhaps therapy helps her see her worth as far more significant than a man who waits until she’s unavailable to make a move. With the tools she learns, maybe Carrie will emphasize her friendships and know how to communicate with them instead of using them as her therapists. 

Maybe if Carrie goes to therapy, she won’t be as relatable, or her quirky messiness won’t exist, but it will perhaps make her more equipped to face her challenges head-on and understand her worth. If practices are implemented, she will likely have more self-compassion, self-worth and improved relationships. 

Even if Carrie goes to therapy regularly in another world, she will always be the fashionable cigarette-smoking New York City icon every aspiring writer admires in some way. After all, what’s “Sex and the City” without Carrie Bradshaw and, inevitably, the challenges she faces along the way? 

Clara Leder is a junior studying education and journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Clara know by emailing her at cl125221@ohio.edu